...and in other "Al Gore Pipe Dreams" News: - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > ...and in other "Al Gore Pipe Dreams" News:

Old 07-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #31
ArcaneXor

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 118 Times on 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post
How do you explain the massive climate changes that have occurred over time then? For example, did the dinosaurs get into some crazy industrial stage that none of us know about that somehow triggered the ice ages (joke)? We went through a mini ice age in the 1500's and I am sure that all sorts of crazy climate changes will continue to occur throughout the planets future. I just think it is preposterous to say that you know why the climate is changing and that it is because I am driving an SUV (I don't BTW). For every article and scientist who says we are causing global warming, there is at least one, who says that is a garbage theory. Just because the media and the outspoken "Gorists" talk loudly doesn't mean that their side of the story is correct.

(For some reason I am irritable today)
I know because it's - literally - my job to know. And not a thing you are saying in the post I am quoting is true - you are spreading misinformation about a subject you know nothing about. It's like you telling a doctor that he is performing your open heart surgery incorrectly, or telling a NASA engineer that his engine design is critically flawed without having any training in the field whatsoever. Again, you are one of the many people who has become completely apathetic and misinformed thanks to the constant, ignorant, misinformed banter between radical environmentalists and their equivalents on the other side of the political fence that dominates the media.

If you are serious about wanting your questions answered and misconceptions corrected, please read this . It's not a flawless document, but it does a pretty damn good job covering the basics of the science.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #32
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl
Liked 49 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
I know because it's - literally - my job to know.

If you are serious about wanting your questions answered and misconceptions corrected, please read this . It's not a flawless document, but it does a pretty damn good job covering the basics of the science.

The IPCC shared the peace prize with gore, if you're going to reference somebody and convince me then it needs to be something from an outside and unbiased study. It is also a scientific opinion and shouldnt be construed as hard facts.

So I take it you are a climatologist?

Old 07-18-2008, 10:18 PM   #33
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts

ArcaneXor, thanks for the article. Although, I think it will take me some time to read through. I have to respectfully agree with Virtuous though. While you points may be good, as a scientist, you should know that science is not all "facts" and that there are many other scientists who disagree with you. None the less, that you for the article, so far it is a very good read.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #34
ArcaneXor

Recipes 

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter View Post
ArcaneXor, thanks for the article. Although, I think it will take me some time to read through. I have to respectfully agree with Virtuous though. While you points may be good, as a scientist, you should know that science is not all "facts" and that there are many other scientists who disagree with you. None the less, that you for the article, so far it is a very good read.
Absolutely. Science is basically the process by which we attempt to come ever closer to an understanding of how the universe truly works. We'll never get there all the way, and sometimes we are simply wrong. Is there a chance that the basic premise of anthropogenic climate change is wrong? Yes, but it's very small, and there are very few scientists who actually work in this field who disagree with it completely. Do we understand all the details and their implications? Hell, no! The climate change-tropical cyclone link is a great example of this - almost weekly, papers are published on that topic that contradict each other. It's really very fascinating.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:03 PM   #35
ArcaneXor

Recipes 

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuous View Post
The IPCC shared the peace prize with gore, if you're going to reference somebody and convince me then it needs to be something from an outside and unbiased study. It is also a scientific opinion and shouldnt be construed as hard facts.

So I take it you are a climatologist?
I don't see how the joint (and unfortunate) Nobel Prize has anything to do with the credibility of what is one of the most respected scientific bodies in the world - it's basically a collection of something like 2500 scientists who volunteer their time to summarize the state of the science every few years. The assessment reports are not original research. The political meddling that some have criticized tends to extend only to the Summaries for Policymakers - the actual reports tend to be free from that influence.

The IPCCs projections have, to date, been quite conservative. Temperature change has progressed along the higher end of the envelope, while the rate of sea level rise is exceeding projections.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:36 PM   #36
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl
Liked 49 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
I don't see how the joint (and unfortunate) Nobel Prize has anything to do with the credibility of what is one of the most respected scientific bodies in the world -...
You know, I almost spun on my heels with that one. I said to myself, 'Self, had Al Gore not been associated with the IPCC would I look at the whole thing with such a jaundiced eye? Probably not.'

You didnt answer my other question though

Edit- And I counter with another article!
http://www.thenewamerican.com/node/7009
ps. this is all in the name of fun...

Old 07-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #37
ArcaneXor

Recipes 

Nov 2007

Quote:

I am a climate change ecologist, so I deal mostly with climate change impacts on natural (and occasionally socioeconomic) systems.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:02 AM   #38
ArcaneXor

Recipes 

Nov 2007

Quote:
You know, I almost spun on my heels with that one. I said to myself, 'Self, had Al Gore not been associated with the IPCC would I look at the whole thing with such a jaundiced eye? Probably not.'

Edit- And I counter with another article!
http://www.thenewamerican.com/node/7009
ps. this is all in the name of fun...
Ah, I see good old Robinson is still around and up to his old tricks.

I recommend reading some articles by Dr. Roger A. Pielke (Sr.) for a perspective of what constructive climate change skepticism constitutes. Pielke, unlike Robinson, actually publishes on the subject. I don't agree with him on everything (and we don't really work in the same area of the science), but I have a ton of respect for him.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:14 AM   #39
pen25
Recipes 

Jun 2008
tulsa, ok
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
...the former presidential candidate unveiled his "bold" plan to build a footbridge to Mars to get water!

Is he f*cking serious? I'm no true-blue Al Gore hater or anything, and I fully realize that our planet is in trouble, but...the biggest polluter on the planet converting to carbon-neutral in 10 years? He's got a better chance of converting everyone to atheism.
tboon pickens is beating on some of that. he is building one hellava wind farm in the tx pan handle. pretty neat at night when ya drive through. the foils are built just south of tulsa. seriously the length of an entire flat bed semi trailer. he is making a big push in ad's right now as well.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science...lan/index.html

so gore is listening to others.