...and in other "Al Gore Pipe Dreams" News: - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > ...and in other "Al Gore Pipe Dreams" News:

Old 07-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

...the former presidential candidate unveiled his "bold" plan to build a footbridge to Mars to get water!

Is he f*cking serious? I'm no true-blue Al Gore hater or anything, and I fully realize that our planet is in trouble, but...the biggest polluter on the planet converting to carbon-neutral in 10 years? He's got a better chance of converting everyone to atheism.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
jmulligan

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Odenton, MD
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

While I don't know if we can actually make the complete change over to carbon-neutral living in 10 years, I don't know if that was the actual goal of Al Gore's speech yesterday. I guess the way I took it was "aim high" as opposed to the current trend of complaining but doing nothing.

I was there for this inspirational speech, and I really felt like the point was to show that people really do want to change and to do their part (or at least some do), and that to help make a real change, we need real options offered as far as alternative energy sources go.

His goal may be one that sounds a bit crazy or extreme, but it seems better to aim for a major goal and have people excited about it, than to shoot for mediocrity and leave people with the same bitter taste in their mouths about not making any real progress.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA

Yeah, but there's a big difference between "shooting for mediocrity" and "having realistic goals". If I were Gore, and I wanted people to take me seriously, I'd be concerned about how batsh*t loony my proposals come across. Yes, harm CAN come from aiming too high, because it can distract you from more realistic goals, and it can also alienate people who otherwise might agree with you (like me) by painting yourself as an extremist who is out of touch.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Donasay
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Boston
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

realistically as a negotiating point it is a great place to start, just ever so slightly out of reach. It is possible but the investment in it in lifestyle changes and economic resourses would have to be so huge that it would never fly. Americans are very resistant to lifestyle changes. So now when we negotiate becoming carbon neutral and the different plans for it this 10 year benchmark will always raise its head and get us away from the current "maybe without doing much we can be carbon neutral by 2050" policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio
Liked 62 Times on 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
...the former presidential candidate unveiled his "bold" plan to build a footbridge to Mars to get water!
Are you serious, Clark?

I believe that the man who invented the Internet must be capable of anything.

Seriously though, Al Gore is a hypocritical idiot.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Cincinnati, OH
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

He is pretty good at powerpoint.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

He would be easier to take if his house didn't consume more resources than ten average US homes.

This is the same guy that was campaigning for ZPG (zero population growth) with his FOUR children.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA

While his hypocrisy certainly degrades his credibility, I don't think it has any practical bearing on the viability of his proposals. Regardless of how much energy his home uses or doesn't use, transforming nearly 300 million people from largest polluter in the world to carbon neutral in a decade is patently absurd.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 07-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
adrock

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Fort Thomas, KY
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay View Post
realistically as a negotiating point it is a great place to start, just ever so slightly out of reach.
Ever so slightly out of reach? That's quite an understatement! Converting to a carbon neutral society in a decade would so drastically change the economics of the U.S. in such a short time that you could bet on major economic collapse. Think about every manufacturing facility in the nation (many of which are already struggling) being forced to make large capital purchases to clean up their act. BTW, I don't believe they would clean up their act; I think they'd probably just move out of the country. Not to mention that U.S. automakers, one of the largest industries in the country, is not ready to roll out efficient carbon neutral vehicles on a large scale yet..........and if they were, to be truly carbon neutral, every family in the U.S. would have to buy one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay View Post
Americans are very resistant to lifestyle changes.
No argument on your point here technically, but let's not make it sound like Americans are the only society resistant to having their lifestyles mandated by government. Virtually everyone would have the same resistance.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
He's got a better chance of converting everyone to atheism.
Or to Christianity for that matter.

Al Gore sure seems to live in his own world with his own version of reality. Course...I guess that being married to the Tipper will do that to ya!