Scottish Wee Heavy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Meister

Reaction score
I am looking for a good Scottish Wee Heavy recipe to brew within the next few weeks. I absolutely love this board for the help and discussions about everything. Since I am still relatively new to brewing I need an extract recipe and/or partial mash.

Thanks in advance for the help!!! :D

When I made my Wee heavy I started out with this recipie ( http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator?group=31&item=358 ) and then ramped it up a bit . . . well up to about a 220 schilling Wee Heavy:tank:

I didnt write that recipie down (It was my first beer ever) but I do know I got rid of the corn sugar, and used 3lbs of honey. Think I may have played with the steeping grains a bit too. Think I threw in a bit of roasted along with the 40L

I ended up with a OG of 1.081 and it took about 5-6 months for it to be REALLY good but it's still my favorite so far and if ya want to really get a buzz all ya need is 2-3

Thanks, Pumbaa, I will look into doing something like the one you posted, with a few changes. I am gonna wait to see what El Pistolero posts and go from there. I will post the recipe when I decide on one to get some feedback! :mug:

I have one a wee less heavy (8%, IBU 25) in the secondary, very nice taste....I'll post if you like just let me know grain or extract recipie.

And I got an Email today telling me I can grow my penis by 3 inches for $39.95

Brew_Meister said:
I am looking for a good Scottish Wee Heavy recipe to brew within the next few weeks.
Here are two Wee Heavies...I've tried both, both are fantastic. The first is the Traquair House clone from Clone Brews, the second is the McEwans #1 Champion recipe from Beer Captured. The first is very dark, has a great mouthfeel, and a nice aroma from the dry hops. The second is not as dark, but maybe even a little sweeter than the first...tastes like root beer. :)

Both of these by the way are steeped grain methods...steep the grains for 30 minutes in a gallon of 150F water and sparge with an additional gallon of 150F water. Boil volume is about 3.5 gallons for both, if your pot can handle it. As for yeast, as you can see I used Edinburgh Ale yeast for the first and Irish Ale yeast for the second...I prefer the Edinburgh...it just tastes a little more Scottish than the other.

Hope these help...holler if you need clarification or additional details.

Meter Maid's Scotch Ale

18 oz. 55L British crystal malt
3 oz. British peat-smoked malt
2½ oz. roasted barley
2½ oz. Belgian aromatic malt

9 lb. light DME
½ lb. Malto-dextrin

2 oz. East Kent Goldings (bittering)
1 oz. Fuggles (flavor)
1 oz. East Kent Goldings (aroma)
½ oz. Fuggles (dry hop)

1 tsp. Irish Moss

White Labs #WLP028 Edinburgh Ale Yeast

1¼ cups extra-light DME (priming)

Target OG: 1.075
Actual OG: 1.083

McEwan's No.1 Champion Ale

11 oz. Torrified Wheat
9 oz. British 55°L Crystal Malt
2 oz. British Roasted Barley
1 oz. Peated Malt

6.00 lb. Muntons Light DME
1.75 lb. Alexanders Light LME
1.75 lb. Alexanders Amber LME
8 oz. Invert Sugar
1/3 oz. Burton Water Salts

1.75 oz. East Kent Goldings @ 5.4% AA (6.8 HBU) (bittering)

1/4 oz Fuggles (flavor)
1/4 oz Hallertau (flavor)
1 tsp. Irish Moss

White Labs #WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

OG: 1.079
FG: 1.022
SRM: 23
IBU: 25
ABV: 7.3

Thanks El Pistolero, This recipe sounds very tasty... :p

El Pistolero said:
McEwan's No.1 Champion Ale

11 oz. Torrified Wheat
9 oz. British 55°L Crystal Malt
1 oz. Peated Malt

1.75 lb. Alexanders Light LME
1.75 lb. Alexanders Amber LME
8 oz. Invert Sugar

1/4 oz Fuggles (flavor)
1 tsp. Irish Moss

White Labs #WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

OG: 1.079
FG: 1.022
SRM: 23
IBU: 25
ABV: 7.3

I have a few questions to go along with it. First, can I substitute Belgian Candi Sugar for the invert sugar or are they not at all the same thing. If not, where can I get invert sugar from?

Second, how do you think that using the Edinburgh Ale Yeast for this recipe sounds instead of the Irish Ale Yeast would turn out?

Thanks

1) I don't think Candy Sugar and Invert Sugar are quite the same thing. There's a thread on here about making your own invert sugar, or it's sold commercially as Lyle's Golden Syrup.

2) Personally I like the Edinburgh yeast better...it reminds me more of McEwan's Scotch Ale, which is my personal favorite. I think this recipe with the Edinburgh yeast should be fantastic...it's on my plate real soon too.

Thanks for the help El P,

I will be ordering the ingredients tomorrow from NorthernBrewer.com tomorrow. I am going to use the Edinburgh Ale Yeast and the only other change I will be making is using NB Malt Syrup and NB Amber Malt Syrup instead of the Alexander's and making the Invert Sugar as per this forum. I am hoping that NB Malt will not affect the brew. I will keep you posted on how the brew turns out.

Thanks Again El P

:tank:

This is what I am going to use as the final recipe... ( A few changes from El P's posting) I ordered the ingredients from today:

11 oz. Torrified Wheat
9 oz. 60°L Crystal Malt
1 oz. Peated Malt

1.75 lb. John Bull Light LME
1.75 lb. John Bull Amber LME
8 oz. Invert Sugar (made as per Forum)

1/4 oz Fuggles (flavor)
1 tsp. Irish Moss

White Labs #WLP028 Edinburgh Ale Yeast

Any Comments???

Thanks again for the recipe El P... I am looking forward to tasting this yummy brew!!!!:D

I brewed it today and all went well. I even hit the OG right on the head 1.079. I added a little more of the aroma hops... about 3/8oz of each instead of 1/4 because they smelled so good in the wort. :p

My only question deals with the leftover LME. Since they came in 3.5 lbs cans, I only used half of them. Has anybody ever saved this? I have it inside of airtight tupperware containers right now. How long will this last or should I just dump it.

Thanks. And thanks again El P for the recipe... I can't wait to try this one. :D

Brew_Meister said:
My only question deals with the leftover LME. Since they came in 3.5 lbs cans, I only used half of them. Has anybody ever saved this? I have it inside of airtight tupperware containers right now. How long will this last or should I just dump it.
Save the LME for your next batch...as long as you keep it airtight and relatively cool it'll be OK for a month or two anyway.

It has been in the bottles just under a week and my impatience overcame me :D so I put one in the fridge.... waited a couple hours and popped one open... the flavor is awesome... slightly smokey, but not too smokey... and a bit bitter, but bitter in a very good way... the only problem is that I couldn't wait the two weeks to let fully carbonate. This recipe is absolutely great... :rockin: probably the best of the six I have brewed to date. If you like Scottish Ales, then you absolutely must brew this beer.
Thanks for the Recipe El Pistolero.

What time were the hop additions for the McEwan's No.1 Champion Ale. I'm making my first wee heavy and was using this recipe as a guide for mine.

thanks in advance

Back