Bad after Refridgeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdaileyus

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing, and it seems like by brew becomes very acidic or tastes a little like rubbing alchohol after I refridgerate it. I noticed this on my first batch, but I chalked it up to beginner's error. I just made a stout and it tasted great the first week after bottle fermentation was over, but the rest has been in the fridge for a week and the same thing is happening. I was really looking forward to the stout on St. Patty's Day.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? I am very carefull to sanitize and store correctly, at least I think so.

Any help would be appreciated.

Possibly you have a problem with fusel alcohols. These are generally due to high fermentation temperatures and/or leaving the batch on the trub too long. Go to howtobrew.com and read chapter 21 on off-flavors and their causes.

Also, I've heard that if drinking them gives you a wicked hangover, that's confirmation that you've got got a high fusel alcohol level.

I think it sounds more like an infection at bottling time. Things should get better in the bottle... not worse.:)

Back