Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > anyone full boil on a kitchen stove

Old 07-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
squeekysheep
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default anyone full boil on a kitchen stove

i was just wondering since i don't really have much of a garage. does anyone here do full boils on a gas kitchen stove. if so how does it compare to using a propane burner

Old 07-16-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

I have an electric stove in my condo and can bring 5 gallons of wort to a full boil.

Here's my procedure for all grain brewing in my condo.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...+condo+brewing

Old 07-16-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
delpo
Recipes 

Sure. I think the key is having a powerful stove (3K watts) and aluminum kettle instead of SS. Works for me every time.

Delpo

Old 07-16-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
squeekysheep
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

About how long does it take to get it to boiling

nice to know. i will be using a bigger pot looking for something 7.5gal or bigger. hoping to hit all grain before the end of summer looking around for all the stuff. i have been slowly adding to my collection.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I did my first batch on the ol' electric kitchen stove and it worked out good as far as I was concerned... Just took a little longer than I would have liked... And the one thing I noticed was there was a little bit of 'overly cooked' wort in a pretty ring that matched the burner element on the bottom when I cleaned it up... Used a turkey fryer burner next time and it was a little easier...

Old 07-16-2008, 12:45 AM   #6
newell456
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

If you have trouble with a full boil, you can split the wort into another pot. You can also see how your stove boils 5 gallons of plain water at first and see if you need another pot. With the sugar in the wort, you'll need to be a touch hotter, but it'll give you a good idea.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:47 AM   #7
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have a glass top (one of those easy to clean pyrex or whatever thingys)stove in my kitchen, im not sure how many kilowatts the burners are but I can bring 6.5 gallons of wort in a 12.5 gallon SS kettle to a boil with the lid on in maybe 1 hour. I am looking to buy a propane/methane burner at some point to make things quicker.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:15 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I do it all the time. I brew exclusively in my kitchen. Here's a photo of my "sculpture":
Yoop, which is your brew kettle, the tall one or the black one, and what sizes are they? And do you use a wort chiller indoors? If not how do you cool, and do you rack with an autosiphon into your fermenter or does the kettle you use have a ball valve?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-16-2008, 01:17 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Fly guy has a kettle mod that allows you to do full volume boils on an electric stove.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=53683

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew