Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > kegerator conversion questions

Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
yermej
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default kegerator conversion questions

Hi, everybody. I'm new here, new to kegging, and pretty new to brewing in general. Received a starter kit for my birthday one year and I've done a couple all extract batches, but it's been a while. I'm moving into a house soon and plan on getting back into brewing, eventually moving to all grain. I'm going to convert one of the Sanyos into a kegerator so I don't have to bottle and I figure the money I'm putting into it will be motivation to get started brewing again.

I was looking into conversion kits, but all the threads I read advocate spending money on the good stuff (Perlicks, all SS, etc.) up front. I'd really appreciate it if you could look over my equipment list and answer a few questions I have about specific items.

I'm picking up the Sanyo SR-4912M from Best Buy today. I'll also be going with a 5# CO2 tank and four ball lock kegs (two in the fridge, two ready to go).

Rest of the parts, followed by a question or two:
- 2 faucet, brushed SS tower from ACU Metal Fab
- Perlick all SS faucets
- SS elbow shanks from micromatic.com (seems to be the only one carrying these)
- 1/4" gas line, 3/16" beer line
- 1/4" flare to barbed fittings & hose clamps
- 1/4" threaded gas & liquid disconnects
- 2 pressure regulator from kegkits.com

Does anybody here know much about this regulator? I've never dealt with any regulators so I don't know how much the quality can really vary. The one I listed is about $25 less than most others I've seen.

If it's questionable, I may start with a single pressure regulator and then add on a second later (or maybe just suck it up and buy a better one). I understand the reasons for having two (pour while carb and different pouring pressures), but I don't know how much that would really effect me at this point.

Anyway, please let me know if I'm missing anything and I appreciate any other advice you have to offer. I'm really looking forward to getting this going.

Jeremy

Old 07-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm sure the regulator will work. I would advise you to take a look at this thread prior to ordering from kegkits.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:41 AM   #3
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I'm sure the regulator will work. I would advise you to take a look at this thread prior to ordering from kegkits.
Yikes. Thanks for the heads up. I knew I'd forget about something.

So, I guess I'll be looking for another seller - maybe see if micromatic has everything. I'd appreciate any other advice or suggestions about the set up, but I think I've thought of all the parts I'll need.

Jeremy