15 gallon keg cleaning techniques? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > 15 gallon keg cleaning techniques?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #11
springer
 
springer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Wappingers falls NY
Posts: 4,727
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
I have the keg but haven't been able to drive that retaining ring thing around yet to get the spear out. I've read the "anatomy of a keg" page, etc, but I still can't get it.

:-(

I don't mean to hijack. Just wanted to whine a little.

maybe this will help http://www.physics.arizona.edu/~work...rew/Sanke.html.


__________________
'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
98EXL
 
98EXL's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Maryland
Posts: 3,131
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

yeah, it's about that easy


__________________
I'm back!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #13
fratermus
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
75081
Posts: 1,185
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
That's the webpage I meant when I said "anatomy of a keg" above. I didn't remember the name of it.

I am failing at the very first step: "To remove the tube, you first must remove the retaining "spring". I did this by pushing it around with a flat screwdriver until the end was visible through one of the holes in the fitting built onto the keg. "

The pushing around part hasn't worked for me yet. I'll try again tonight.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #14
HarvInSTL
 
HarvInSTL's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 694
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Some of my brew partners ferment in 15.5gal Sanke's and here is how we get them clean.

Remove the spear
Add 8gallons of water and bring to a boil
Add PBW and insert rubber stopper
Shake the living hell out of it and let sit for 30minutes
With rubber stopper still in turn the keg upside down and let the hot pbw water clean the "other" half of the keg.

Since we ferment using two of these at a time we just use the hot pbw water from the first one to clean the second one.

Then we rinse/repeat with Star San.
__________________
Primary:
Secondary:
On deck:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #15
98EXL
 
98EXL's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Maryland
Posts: 3,131
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvInSTL View Post
Some of my brew partners ferment in 15.5gal Sanke's and here is how we get them clean.

Remove the spear
Add 8gallons of water and bring to a boil
Add PBW and insert rubber stopper
Shake the living hell out of it and let sit for 30minutes
With rubber stopper still in turn the keg upside down and let the hot pbw water clean the "other" half of the keg.

Since we ferment using two of these at a time we just use the hot pbw water from the first one to clean the second one.

Then we rinse/repeat with Star San.
oh wow, that's cool! How do you put an airlock in it?
__________________
I'm back!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #16
EvilTOJ
 
EvilTOJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Posts: 6,390
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts


I'd imagine just another one of those rubber stoppers, but with a hole drilled in it then the airlock shoved in. What size stopper goes into one of those?
__________________
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:31 AM   #17
fratermus
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
75081
Posts: 1,185
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
I am failing at the very first step: "To remove the tube, you first must remove the retaining "spring". I did this by pushing it around with a flat screwdriver until the end was visible through one of the holes in the fitting built onto the keg. "
Ok, I see now.

Based on my misreading of this picture:


I thought he was drifting the upper collar around so that it met up with the ends of the retaining ring. The way the shadow falls under the screwdriver makes it look kinda like he's got the screwdriver resting on a tab in the collar.

I finally got enough light on the thing to see that what I thought was a rotating collar is in fact a unmovable welded/rolled/whatever part of the neck of the filler hole. In the pic I think he is drifting the retaining ring by applying force on the "raised" end of the ring. The ring is drifted around _under_ the collar. Note: that's not how I got the ring out...

Duh.

I have been beating the living crap out of this thing, using a torch, mallet, hammer, block of wood, steel pipes. I am sure the neighbors hate me because hammering on a keg is LOUD. I had earplugs in the whole time.

Anyhow, I had butchered the neck bad enought that I had to fight to get the spear out. But it's out, the keg is cleaned and ready to have the lid cut off.

I am some kind of hardware moron. Just thought I'd share. I am going to take a shower now because I am dripping with sweat and angst.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:49 AM   #18
98EXL
 
98EXL's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Maryland
Posts: 3,131
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


well at least you got it done! Was it stinky inside?
__________________
I'm back!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #19
fratermus
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
75081
Posts: 1,185
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


No, just smelled like old beer (like it did when bleeding the pressure out). The spear and what I could see of the inside with the flashlight looked fine. Will be easier to see and scrub out once the top is liberated.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #20
98EXL
 
98EXL's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Maryland
Posts: 3,131
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
No, just smelled like old beer (like it did when bleeding the pressure out). The spear and what I could see of the inside with the flashlight looked fine. Will be easier to see and scrub out once the top is liberated.
I think the worse smell so fr of old beer was out of the Guinness keg...peee-you! (I dunno how to spell that)


__________________
I'm back!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Techniques to get a low FG? Yunus General Techniques 9 02-12-2009 08:57 PM
Cleaning an old 10 Gallon Stainless Steel Pot Jewrican Equipment/Sanitation 5 01-28-2009 04:15 AM
Keg cleaning & beer line cleaning & maintenance Sherpa FE Bottling/Kegging 3 11-27-2007 02:16 PM
Cleaning a 5 gallon carboy priapismismyname Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 08-21-2007 01:51 PM
Different Techniques Brewer Downunder Bottling/Kegging 5 06-20-2005 08:16 AM


Forum Jump