Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Beer Captured Mini-Mash Method
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 12:53 AM   #1
DP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farmington, MN
Posts: 17
Default Beer Captured Mini-Mash Method

I plan on brewing Anderson Valley's Boont Amber recipe from the book Beer Captured. I would like to use the Mini-Mash method since I have only been extract brewing thus far.

In the book it says to mash the malt & specialty grains for 90 minutes then follow the extract recipe using about half of the malt extract.

My question is: Where exactly do I jump into the extract recipe? At the point where it tells me to sparge?

It seems to me that I not only skip out on half of the LME, but also ditch the 30 minute steeping session. Am I correct?


DP is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:28 AM   #2
Ivan Lendl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ivan Lendl's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wimbledon Finals
Posts: 1,312
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default

whats the recipe? does it really say 'about half'?

most mini mash recipes are for about 2 lbs of grain, which will not do much as far as replacing extract, but if your sparging im guessing your doing like 5-6 lbs of grain, which will affect the gravity.

put the recipe up, and well tell you what do do.


__________________
Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9
Ivan Lendl is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:30 AM   #3
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,116
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

I've not done this but I would think that you would mash and sparge out your grains.Then add extract and water if needed to bring it to boil volume. Do they tell you how much water to use in the mash portion of the recipe? I don't think you would have to steep the grains since this would happen when you mash. That's a very good beer. I really like it.
__________________
Gary
Blender is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:40 AM   #4
DP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farmington, MN
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Lendl
whats the recipe? does it really say 'about half'?
I wrote "about half" because it says to subtract 1.75 lbs. LME. The standard malt extract method calls for 4 lbs. LME.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
Do they tell you how much water to use in the mash portion of the recipe? I don't think you would have to steep the grains since this would happen when you mash.
They don't specify how much to use during the mash but they do say to bring it up to 2.5 gallons for the boil.

I talked to a guy at my LHBS and he said to jump in at the sparging point. All of my malts are in one bag that I bought so the mash is also a steep. It made sense to me, but like I said before, I am a newbie to mini-mash and thought I'd get some of your guys' input.

The recipe is in the Beer Captured book for anyone who wants to take a peek. All of the recipes offer a mini-mash and all-grain alternative to the standard extract method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
That's a very good beer. I really like it.
AVBC's Boont Amber is one of my all-time favorites and I am really looking forward to getting started on Friday!
DP is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:30 AM   #5
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,116
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

You will need to determine the weight of the grain and from there you can figure the amount of water to use for the mash part. How much wort can you boil for your batches?
__________________
Gary
Blender is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,244
Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP
I plan on brewing Anderson Valley's Boont Amber recipe from the book Beer Captured. I would like to use the Mini-Mash method since I have only been extract brewing thus far.

In the book it says to mash the malt & specialty grains for 90 minutes then follow the extract recipe using about half of the malt extract.

My question is: Where exactly do I jump into the extract recipe? At the point where it tells me to sparge?

It seems to me that I not only skip out on half of the LME, but also ditch the 30 minute steeping session. Am I correct?
AG gurus can correct me on this first statement if I am wrong, but....

When you mash, you should throw all of the grains (including the speciality grains that you would normally steep for an extract+grain batch) into mash tun. Then, when you have finished sparged the grains, you are going to be left with a bunch of sweet liquid.

You jump into the 'extract method' at this point... just pretend that the liquid you drew from your mini-mash is water that has already had grain steeped in it. Heat it up to boiling, remove from heat, add your extract, return to boil, add hops, etc, etc, etc.

One last comment on the 'about half' reference to extract. My personal experience is that a 'normal' amount of LME to use for a 5 gallon batch is between 5 lbs (light bodied) and 7.5 lbs (fuller bodied).

4 lbs of extract (as you mentioned) seems pretty skimpy for a 5 gallon batch, IMHO.

-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cweston's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,019
Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Walker
One last comment on the 'about half' reference to extract. My personal experience is that a 'normal' amount of LME to use for a 5 gallon batch is between 5 lbs (light bodied) and 7.5 lbs (fuller bodied).

4 lbs of extract (as you mentioned) seems pretty skimpy for a 5 gallon batch, IMHO.
The recipes in Clone Brews and Beer Captured almost always include some amont of LME and some amount of DME. So the 4 lbs LME is normal for their recipes. I'm guessing that they do this as a way to fine-tune the final gravity by mixing extracts.
__________________

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale
cweston is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,244
Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
The recipes in Clone Brews and Beer Captured almost always include some amont of LME and some amount of DME. So the 4 lbs LME is normal for their recipes. I'm guessing that they do this as a way to fine-tune the final gravity by mixing extracts.
Ahhhh... ok. that makes sense.

-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Baron von BeeGee's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 5,419
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Default

What Walker said. When you do your partial mash you will do it with the 2-row and all the specialty grains. This replaces the steeping portion of the extract recipe. After you sparge and remove the grains you add the fractional amount of extract, get your boil going, and start hopping according to schedule.
Baron von BeeGee is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:25 PM   #10
DP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farmington, MN
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
You will need to determine the weight of the grain and from there you can figure the amount of water to use for the mash part. How much wort can you boil for your batches?
2 lbs. of Pale Ale Malt
12 oz. of Crystal 80L Malt
4 oz. of Crystal 40L Malt
------------------------------------
3 lbs. grain TOTAL


I have a 22 quart (5.5 gallon) stainless steel stockpot that I use as my brewkettle.

How do I compute the amount of water to use for the mash part?


DP is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini mash vs. All grain - Mini Mash wins Grinder12000 General Beer Discussion 48 03-30-2010 11:22 AM
Beer Captured--literally Biermann General Techniques 4 11-10-2006 02:19 AM
Beer Captured...and Released homebrewer_99 Recipes/Ingredients 5 10-05-2006 10:16 AM
Clonebrews or Beer Captured? Levers101 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 06-03-2006 10:52 PM
Mini-mash ingredients with an All-grain method ryser2k All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 03-25-2005 10:48 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS