Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Beer Captured Mini-Mash Method

Old 03-16-2006, 12:53 AM   #1
DP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer Captured Mini-Mash Method

I plan on brewing Anderson Valley's Boont Amber recipe from the book Beer Captured. I would like to use the Mini-Mash method since I have only been extract brewing thus far.

In the book it says to mash the malt & specialty grains for 90 minutes then follow the extract recipe using about half of the malt extract.

My question is: Where exactly do I jump into the extract recipe? At the point where it tells me to sparge?

It seems to me that I not only skip out on half of the LME, but also ditch the 30 minute steeping session. Am I correct?

Old 03-16-2006, 02:28 AM   #2
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

whats the recipe? does it really say 'about half'?

most mini mash recipes are for about 2 lbs of grain, which will not do much as far as replacing extract, but if your sparging im guessing your doing like 5-6 lbs of grain, which will affect the gravity.

put the recipe up, and well tell you what do do.

Up next: Configuration 9

Old 03-16-2006, 03:30 AM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I've not done this but I would think that you would mash and sparge out your grains.Then add extract and water if needed to bring it to boil volume. Do they tell you how much water to use in the mash portion of the recipe? I don't think you would have to steep the grains since this would happen when you mash. That's a very good beer. I really like it.

Old 03-16-2006, 04:40 AM   #4
DP
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Lendl
whats the recipe? does it really say 'about half'?
I wrote "about half" because it says to subtract 1.75 lbs. LME. The standard malt extract method calls for 4 lbs. LME.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
Do they tell you how much water to use in the mash portion of the recipe? I don't think you would have to steep the grains since this would happen when you mash.
They don't specify how much to use during the mash but they do say to bring it up to 2.5 gallons for the boil.

I talked to a guy at my LHBS and he said to jump in at the sparging point. All of my malts are in one bag that I bought so the mash is also a steep. It made sense to me, but like I said before, I am a newbie to mini-mash and thought I'd get some of your guys' input.

The recipe is in the Beer Captured book for anyone who wants to take a peek. All of the recipes offer a mini-mash and all-grain alternative to the standard extract method.

Quote:
That's a very good beer. I really like it.
AVBC's Boont Amber is one of my all-time favorites and I am really looking forward to getting started on Friday!

Old 03-16-2006, 05:30 AM   #5
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

You will need to determine the weight of the grain and from there you can figure the amount of water to use for the mash part. How much wort can you boil for your batches?

Old 03-16-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP
I plan on brewing Anderson Valley's Boont Amber recipe from the book Beer Captured. I would like to use the Mini-Mash method since I have only been extract brewing thus far.

In the book it says to mash the malt & specialty grains for 90 minutes then follow the extract recipe using about half of the malt extract.

My question is: Where exactly do I jump into the extract recipe? At the point where it tells me to sparge?

It seems to me that I not only skip out on half of the LME, but also ditch the 30 minute steeping session. Am I correct?
AG gurus can correct me on this first statement if I am wrong, but....

When you mash, you should throw all of the grains (including the speciality grains that you would normally steep for an extract+grain batch) into mash tun. Then, when you have finished sparged the grains, you are going to be left with a bunch of sweet liquid.

You jump into the 'extract method' at this point... just pretend that the liquid you drew from your mini-mash is water that has already had grain steeped in it. Heat it up to boiling, remove from heat, add your extract, return to boil, add hops, etc, etc, etc.

One last comment on the 'about half' reference to extract. My personal experience is that a 'normal' amount of LME to use for a 5 gallon batch is between 5 lbs (light bodied) and 7.5 lbs (fuller bodied).

4 lbs of extract (as you mentioned) seems pretty skimpy for a 5 gallon batch, IMHO.

-walker

Old 03-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Walker
One last comment on the 'about half' reference to extract. My personal experience is that a 'normal' amount of LME to use for a 5 gallon batch is between 5 lbs (light bodied) and 7.5 lbs (fuller bodied).

4 lbs of extract (as you mentioned) seems pretty skimpy for a 5 gallon batch, IMHO.
The recipes in Clone Brews and Beer Captured almost always include some amont of LME and some amount of DME. So the 4 lbs LME is normal for their recipes. I'm guessing that they do this as a way to fine-tune the final gravity by mixing extracts.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
The recipes in Clone Brews and Beer Captured almost always include some amont of LME and some amount of DME. So the 4 lbs LME is normal for their recipes. I'm guessing that they do this as a way to fine-tune the final gravity by mixing extracts.
Ahhhh... ok. that makes sense.

-walker

Old 03-16-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

What Walker said. When you do your partial mash you will do it with the 2-row and all the specialty grains. This replaces the steeping portion of the extract recipe. After you sparge and remove the grains you add the fractional amount of extract, get your boil going, and start hopping according to schedule.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:25 PM   #10
DP
Recipes 

Quote:
You will need to determine the weight of the grain and from there you can figure the amount of water to use for the mash part. How much wort can you boil for your batches?
2 lbs. of Pale Ale Malt
12 oz. of Crystal 80L Malt
4 oz. of Crystal 40L Malt
------------------------------------
3 lbs. grain TOTAL

I have a 22 quart (5.5 gallon) stainless steel stockpot that I use as my brewkettle.

How do I compute the amount of water to use for the mash part?