Questions about water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eatpuppies

Reaction score
First of all, I have well water, and for my first batch I boiled 3 gallons early in the day and then cooled and poured it into the primary for later (when I added 2 more gallons of extract/water) was boiling it necessary?

Also I don't have an auto siphon and the instructions say to fill my tubing with water and let it drain into the bottling bucket to start the siphon, do I need to boil that water also or should I not worry about it since it's such a small amount? Or perhaps just spend the money on an auto siphon or make the t-siphon shown in another post?

Typically, if the water is good for drinking it's good for brewing. Boiling definitely doesn't hurt, but it's not completely necessary.

As for the siphon, before I got an autosiphon I would swish a shot of vodka around my mouth, then just suck start the siphon.

Welcome to the forum.

Another quick question I thought of was this, if I transfer to the secondary (after about 4-5 days and almost no signs of fermentations) will it reduce the time necessary in the bottle for conditioning, or is it still 2-3 weeks in the bottle either way?

Latest posts

Back