Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing in a HOT apartment

Old 07-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
kellsean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing in a HOT apartment

I'd like to start a new brew sometime in the coming days, but my un-air-conditioned apartment is very hot; around 75 degrees. I'm wondering--what is the best type of ale to brew (or maybe what is the best yeast to use) when fermenting in such a hot environment?

Any light you all can shed on this would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Do you have any options for cooling? Something as simple as a large ice chest or rubbermaid tote with some ice blocks will do a great job keeping temperature down. If you are short on space, you could brew a Saison which ferment well in warm temperatures.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
bashe
Recipes 

My apartment stays around 78-82. I went to walmart and bought a cooler for $22 put a little water in it and swap out frozen water bottles everyday. Its bit of a pain but I can keep the temp around 68-70.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5663765
Coming Up: Westvleteren 12 clone, Oktoberfast, SWMBO Slayer
Projects: Fermentation Chamber
Beer Blog

Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have the same cooler but a size or 2 smaller than that. The lid snaps off and my carboy fits into it. I have about 10" of water in it, and I swap out frozen bottles 1-2 times per day depending on the size of the bottle. It's about 70-75 in my apartment and I have no problem keeping the water in the cooler below 60. I also keep a towel on top of the carboy, more to prevent it from getting sunlight(it's under a shaded window) than anything else, but I'm sure that helps too.

It's so humid here that the t-shirt trick likely wouldn't work, but if it's not too humid in MA during the summer, you may consider putting a tight-fitting t-shirt over the carboy to wick up water.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
BADS197
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellsean View Post
I'd like to start a new brew sometime in the coming days, but my un-air-conditioned apartment is very hot; around 75 degrees. I'm wondering--what is the best type of ale to brew (or maybe what is the best yeast to use) when fermenting in such a hot environment?

Any light you all can shed on this would be greatly appreciated!
Your lucky.. I came home to a cool 95 degrees yesterday. An hour later I managed to get it to drop 4 degrees with our substandard A/C.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd add a vote for using coolers. I have two 70 quart maxcold coolers and with a water bath at the right temp, my fermenters stay as low as I want them. In fact, it was 84 in my garage the other day and the cooler got too cold, down to 58 degrees. So they're definitely worth a look. If you drill a hole in the lid, a 6.5 gallon carboy will fit with enough room for 2 2 liter soda bottles filled with frozen water.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Try this... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=71878

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 07-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I'd add a vote for using coolers. I have two 70 quart maxcold coolers and with a water bath at the right temp, my fermenters stay as low as I want them. In fact, it was 84 in my garage the other day and the cooler got too cold, down to 58 degrees. So they're definitely worth a look. If you drill a hole in the lid, a 6.5 gallon carboy will fit with enough room for 2 2 liter soda bottles filled with frozen water.
What are the inside dimensions of your maxcold 70? Do you think it would fit a Pony keg? I have just started fermenting in a Pony keg and it is a bit squatier then a carboy. I see the cooler on-line and think "that might work" but all the websites only give you outside dimensions on the cooler.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Hops View Post
What are the inside dimensions of your maxcold 70? Do you think it would fit a Pony keg? I have just started fermenting in a Pony keg and it is a bit squatier then a carboy. I see the cooler on-line and think "that might work" but all the websites only give you outside dimensions on the cooler.
No idea of the internal dimensions at all. Sorry. I think a pony keg might be a little too wide though.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #10
BADS197
Recipes 

I picked up a large igloo last night at Target and plan on modding it like a few others have. I'm hoping it will hold the temps down during the day while i'm not home.