Post your infection - Page 79 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Post your infection

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #781
beerman0001
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
virginia beach, virginia
Posts: 984
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts


If you dont need the carboy just leave it alone for a year. The only worry is that is alot of headspace.
__________________
Fermenting.
On tap: World wide lager, Dopelbock, Apfelwein, American Wheat, DFH 90, Dortmunder export, Skeeterpee, Chinook/Citra ipa.
Waiting on a tap. Maibock, Two Hearted, Pliny the elder, Chimay White, Roggenbrier, DFH60
Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #782
Zoltanar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Montréal, Québec
Posts: 71
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Finally thought of taking pictures last night.
The first one is not that easy to see, but it is the "crumbling layer" that appeared in my bottles - the exact same thing that I had in my secondary bucket. I haven't tried it yet and like I said in a previous post, I will probably have to make it go through a collander to get the floating parts out before drinking it.

The second picture is my SN clone that also got infected. This is still in the primary - I think that while moving it around, a small amount of the liquid from the blow off thing on the top of the lid go in the beer. Maybe this is what started the infection? Although I doubt it since it was a starsan solution...makes me wonder!
I'll still try to rack it to a secondary, making sure I don't syphon the top part. I'll then wait a couple days and see if more molding is forming at the top before I decide what I do with it.


I guess I will need to clean and sanityze all my equipment - 2 batch in a row that are turning bad....
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0262.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	80750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0263.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	80751  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #783
jajao44
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Millsboro, Delaware
Posts: 58
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltanar View Post
Finally thought of taking pictures last night.
The first one is not that easy to see, but it is the "crumbling layer" that appeared in my bottles - the exact same thing that I had in my secondary bucket. I haven't tried it yet and like I said in a previous post, I will probably have to make it go through a collander to get the floating parts out before drinking it.

The second picture is my SN clone that also got infected. This is still in the primary - I think that while moving it around, a small amount of the liquid from the blow off thing on the top of the lid go in the beer. Maybe this is what started the infection? Although I doubt it since it was a starsan solution...makes me wonder!
I'll still try to rack it to a secondary, making sure I don't syphon the top part. I'll then wait a couple days and see if more molding is forming at the top before I decide what I do with it.


I guess I will need to clean and sanityze all my equipment - 2 batch in a row that are turning bad....

Same thing happened to me two batches in a row. I gave all my stuff a hot bleach bath not sure if its cured yet haven't gotten to my next batch. My bottles look the same also I think I'll do some tasting tonight its been a little over week since bottled.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #784
snevey
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Dover, PA
Posts: 297
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts


I had a Lacto infection on my Oktoberfest that must have occurred during my transfer to secondary. I've since replaced all of my hoses, and did a bleach bath on my auto-siphon. What I did when it came time to siphon from my secondary carboy to my bottling bucket was I first poked a hole in the surface "crust" with my wine thief (I use the thief for gravity readings) and then quickly placed my autosiphon into the hole in the crud I just made. Sure, I probably got some of that bacteria into my bottling bucket, but I stopped the autosiphon before it sucked the Lacto through... I'm 1 week 2 days into the bottle carbonating stage and I don't have a white film in any of my bottles.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #785
agodfrey11
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Pensacola, FL
Posts: 128
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by snevey
I had a Lacto infection on my Oktoberfest that must have occurred during my transfer to secondary. I've since replaced all of my hoses, and did a bleach bath on my auto-siphon. What I did when it came time to siphon from my secondary carboy to my bottling bucket was I first poked a hole in the surface "crust" with my wine thief (I use the thief for gravity readings) and then quickly placed my autosiphon into the hole in the crud I just made. Sure, I probably got some of that bacteria into my bottling bucket, but I stopped the autosiphon before it sucked the Lacto through... I'm 1 week 2 days into the bottle carbonating stage and I don't have a white film in any of my bottles.
I'm pretty sure the lacto is in the beer and the crud on top is just a side effect.
__________________
Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Oatmeal Brown Ale, Dry Mead,
Bottled: Session Rye, Black IPA, Porter, American Honey Wheat, American Amber Ale
On Deck: Rye IPA, Jamil's British Bitter, Jamil's 60 Shilling

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #786
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Key West, Florida
Posts: 6,151
Liked 745 Times on 576 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by agodfrey11

I'm pretty sure the lacto is in the beer and the crud on top is just a side effect.
I was thinking the same thing. The bottles also may not have pellicles because of the temp they are being conditioned at.
__________________
EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Black Caesar RIS
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Simcoe/Galaxy/Citra IPA, Weizenbock, Smoked Porter, Key West Best Bitter, Gz Up - Gose Down
On Deck : Imperial Dry Hopped Sour, Jackfruit Hefeweizen, Pink Lemon Wit

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #787
snevey
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Dover, PA
Posts: 297
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by agodfrey11 View Post
I'm pretty sure the lacto is in the beer and the crud on top is just a side effect.
I'm pretty sure you're right, BUT I also think that it requires oxygen to grow, something it's not going to get in the bottle, correct?

It's going to be consumed quickly as soon as bottle carbing is complete. I didn't keg this batch, because I want to give it away before pellicles start forming in the bottles.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #788
Zoltanar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Montréal, Québec
Posts: 71
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


So, should I get scared of drinking part of the crust that formed in my bottles?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #789
Berrybrews
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 1

Can someone please tell if either of these two brews I am doing at are infected.

The two pics on the bottom are same batch. SG reading is at 1016 (if that means anything) using lager yeast 497.
Taste is quite odd, not sour but not pleasant like other brews I have done.

Other one looks worse but there seems to be nothing odd about the taste, SG at 1020. I used ale yeast and put a bit too much yeast in. Should that effect things?
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-717333328.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	80849   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1515100342.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	80850   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2729349999.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	80851  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #790
agodfrey11
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Pensacola, FL
Posts: 128
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrybrews
Can someone please tell if either of these two brews I am doing at are infected.

The two pics on the bottom are same batch. SG reading is at 1016 (if that means anything) using lager yeast 497.
Taste is quite odd, not sour but not pleasant like other brews I have done.

Other one looks worse but there seems to be nothing odd about the taste, SG at 1020. I used ale yeast and put a bit too much yeast in. Should that effect things?
First one looks odd but it could just be the picture. The other 2 look perfectly normal.
__________________
Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Oatmeal Brown Ale, Dry Mead,
Bottled: Session Rye, Black IPA, Porter, American Honey Wheat, American Amber Ale
On Deck: Rye IPA, Jamil's British Bitter, Jamil's 60 Shilling

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post infection fun garbs Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 12-01-2014 08:59 PM
Is This My First Infection? Dog House Brew General Beer Discussion 2 12-29-2008 01:20 AM
my first infection zstewart123 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 11-29-2007 04:39 AM


Forum Jump