Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Post your infection

Old 02-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #301
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default UPDATE on mine....

Yep it had something...I let it sit until today on it. I sampled and it was not bad. I have 7.5 gallons on gas and 5.5 more with some toasted coconut flakes, now. I fear I have accidentially created a great beverage that I will never be able to replicate.

While not my personal favorite I am sure to give it a run at the Luau Party next Saturday night. I will have tons of free feedback...lol.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:24 AM   #302
moxie
Recipes 

I am getting some crazy activity with a batch of Apfelwein I just put on... In previous batches with the same yeast, all I got was a very thin layer of bubbles. I pitched the dry 1118 about 24 hours ago, but I started seeing this crazy stuff within 12 hours or so. Is this an infection? I have not seen anything like this in any of my previous fermentations.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:32 AM   #303
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Active fermentation and high krausen. Doing FINE. Let her be.

M_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie View Post
I am getting some crazy activity with a batch of Apfelwein I just put on... In previous batches with the same yeast, all I got was a very thin layer of bubbles. I pitched the dry 1118 about 24 hours ago, but I started seeing this crazy stuff within 12 hours or so. Is this an infection? I have not seen anything like this in any of my previous fermentations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
moxie Likes This 
Old 03-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #304
moxie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
Active fermentation and high krausen. Doing FINE. Let her be.

M_C
Wow, that takes a load off my mind... I was under the impression that only grain had the enzymes to produce this sort of mess on the surface. I am used to seeing this sort of stuff with hops and such using grain and ale yeast, but I was very concerned with the Apple and champagne yeast! I also got a wee bit of suck back from my airlock after pitching, so I was ultra sensitive. Haha.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #305
slomo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah it does look like a regular fermentation, but I have never seen it like that with apflewein.
The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #306
cms
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie View Post
Just read this whole thread and there's some really disturbing visuals. This one looks perfect, though.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #307
Rynolee
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Super newb question on my first batch of beer. Better safe than sorry. Racked to secondary and these appeared 18 hours later, are these just bubbles? Airlock has a release every 90 seconds or so. American yeast US-05 and 7 days in primary if that helps?
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-509136858.jpg
Views:	1728
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	23759  

Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #308
kegtoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 20

looks like bacteria/mold to me. id rack the beer from the bottom sooner rater than later.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:44 AM   #309
Rynolee
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegtoe
looks like bacteria/mold to me. id rack the beer from the bottom sooner rater than later.
Where do I rack it, keg, until drink? I was thinking of racking to keg and then back after I clean out the carboy again. Would that oxidize the beer too much? I auto-siphon carefully!

Here's a few more pics, thoughts welcome:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3787783610.jpg
Views:	1683
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	23799   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-786734955.jpg
Views:	1652
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	23800  

Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #310
dirtyjerz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Why do so many of you keep beer in your pails or carboys for 2+ months? It doesn't make any sense to me when the majority of beers are ready to bottle in a months time. One of these post was an Irish Red that was in a bucket for 2 months. I'm starting an Irish Red this week and I plan to go 3 weeks tops before I bottle depending on FG readings.

So far I have brewed a Pale Ale, sat for 7 weeks in primary due to it not being my just my beer and not wanting to intrude on my friends brew. Finally I just bottled it when he wasn't home. There are tastes in it that are off, yet still drinkable for the most part.

Next batch was a Hefe, in carboy for 3 weeks hit, FG bottled for 1 1/2 weeks TASTED GREAT. Now at 3 weeks tastes a bit off.

Next batch was Irish Stout. In carboy for 2 weeks, hit just below FG at just 1 week in, but let it sit. Bottled it 15 days ago and tried two of them tonight. I think its the best beer I brewed so far. Still young to tell, but very smooth and tasty and not heavy.

So why 2 months in primary!!!!!!!!

God help me when I get an infection like the few posted (most looked like the normal process of fermenting) as I don't know if I will be able to taste it when I see that shyt in my carboy.

I also want to know how many kids under 21 are on here that the cursing filter needs to be enabled!?

Idrum6969 Likes This