leading tip dead help - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > leading tip dead help

Old 07-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
MTbrew
Recipes 

May 2008
Milford PA

Ok what should I do? One of my Sterling zomes (1st year) only produced 1 bine. It grew to about 4 feet and was doing great. A week or so ago I noticed the tip of the bine had been clipped (or chewed off). I waited to see what would happen. A new tip finally grew but the bine produced alot of sidearms and they are getting really long (a foot or so). Should I trim back the side arms or let them go? Thanks for the help.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts

Do not trim the side arms, except to keep them off the ground. The first year is about building strength. Just let it grow.

(Sterling sidearms run 24-36")

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-07-2008, 05:26 AM   #3
betch
Recipes 

Jun 2006
Flagstaff AZ
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had the same issue with one of my second year plants. I trimmed the growing sidearms except one side arm near the leading missing head and it slowly is growing up again.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
cuinrearview

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Delton, MI
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My tips on all of my plants were ripped off in a storm in early June. The babies were only about three feet tall, and now look like bushes around the twine. The sidearms on the mt. hood are twising around each other and growing towards the sky. The centennial did not take to the loss quite as well, but is still thriving and bushing out. My mature cascade had plenty of vertical growth at that time, higher than it had ever been. It's thrown out sidearms and is in the process of flowering now. Won't get the harvest I could have, but it'll be pretty good nonetheless. I've done no trimming to any of the plants, and trained what sidearms would reach up the twine.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Brewmando
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Fort Madison, IA (SE)
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've had the tip of 3-4 vines get snipped off and I simply used my pocket knife to remove the vine down to the first closest intersection of sidearms/leaves. Within a couple of days the vine sent a new center vine out and have recovered nicely! My longest Nugget vine had it happen at about 4' and is currently about 7'-8' now.