Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > whats the best soak for a carboy

Old 07-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
killian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default whats the best soak for a carboy

I have been using oxiclean at about 2 tbs per 5 gallons and soaking overnight but I have heard that people are soaking for up to a week, what amount and time are you all using for oxiclean?

I also just picked up some barkeepers friend to clean up some kegs can this be used on carboys? if so which is better oxi or barkeepers?

Old 07-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
devils4ever
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killian View Post
I have been using oxiclean at about 2 tbs per 5 gallons and soaking overnight but I have heard that people are soaking for up to a week, what amount and time are you all using for oxiclean?

I also just picked up some barkeepers friend to clean up some kegs can this be used on carboys? if so which is better oxi or barkeepers?
I never used anything but Oxyclean. I don't have time to wait for a week. I let it sit for like an hour and everything seems to come off.

"Actually, Dwight, you're right. Alcohol is very very bad...for children. But once you turn 21, it becomes very very good! So scram!" -- Leela

Old 07-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4ever View Post
I never used anything but Oxyclean. I don't have time to wait for a week. I let it sit for like an hour and everything seems to come off.
+1. Unless it's a really bad piece of crud, I can usually get it off with a carboy brush after maybe an hour of oxy soaking.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 39

A 1 hour soak with Oxiclean has always done the job for me.
If I am not around to rinse the carboy when the hour is up, then a soak of up to 24 hours doesn't seem to do any harm.
I have heard (but do not know if it is true) that extended soaking can cause etching of the glass. I do know that if you soak for 24 hours, it gets difficult to rinse off the residue.
Barkeepers Friend is a mild abrasive, and requires elbow grease to make it work. It's great for removing scorch marks from kettles, but would be very difficult to use in a carboy. Oxiclean also works really well in kegs.

-a.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
BrewSapiens
Nobody
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Overnight soak, unless I get too busy with other things, then they have sat for about a week before I rinse. Doesn't seem to do any harm.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #6
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I usually soak anywhere from overnight to several weeks, depending on how lazy I am. I always use Oxyclean Free, and have found it gets the job done better than the more expensive PBW.

Bottle deposits get cleaned out as quickly as a few hours.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:45 PM   #7
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm cheap so instead of oxiclean I use dishwasher detergent. Overnight soak does wonders. Just don't get one with any perfumes in it. I tried oxiclean once and had the exact same results. I soaked my carboy overnight as well with that spendy stuff.
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 07-05-2008, 02:37 AM   #8
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

what dilution rate are all of you using?

Old 07-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The best soak for a carboy after a long week of fermenting is a long hot soak in the tub with mineral salts and some Mr. Bubble. Put on some Celtic folk music and maybe light some lavender candles.

What?

Old 07-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
The best soak for a carboy after a long week of fermenting is a long hot soak in the tub with mineral salts and some Mr. Bubble. Put on some Celtic folk music and maybe light some lavender candles.

What?

HAHAHAHAH!!! ROFLMAO!!!!! Yeah, or a nice long soak in a hot tub!!! HAHAHAHA!!! Maybe a massage with a happy ending!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)