Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Yeast starter shelf life?

Old 03-13-2006, 04:10 AM   #1
Prost!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Yeast starter shelf life?

I brewed my first yeast starter at 5 p.m. on Friday. I'm planning on brewing a batch of beer tomorrow, Monday. Since it's just a mini batch of beer, can I leave it at fermentation temperature for a week or more? Should I leave the starter in my basement at 66*F or move it to the fridge? Also, looks like fermentation has slowed a little, should I aggitate the flask to help get things going again?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yeast Starter.3.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	68  

Kegged: Anglo-American IPA
Kegged: Columbus on the Horizon IPA
Bottled: Belgian Trippel
Bottled: Smoked Scotch Ale
Secondary: Honey Stout
Primary: Irlandés Rojo y Amarillo
Next: Nut Brown Ale

Old 03-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Any starter is an improvement over just pitching a pack of liquid yeast. I would have made a larger starter and pitched at high krausen if possible. I hope you are doing an ale as that don't look to be enough to go with a lager. If it is for a lager than it will have a slow lag time.
Cheers.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost!
I brewed my first yeast starter at 5 p.m. on Friday. I'm planning on brewing a batch of beer tomorrow, Monday. Since it's just a mini batch of beer, can I leave it at fermentation temperature for a week or more? Should I leave the starter in my basement at 66*F or move it to the fridge? Also, looks like fermentation has slowed a little, should I aggitate the flask to help get things going again?
Generally if I'm not gonna be able to use it on the second or third day I put it in the fridge until the day before I can use it. However, as long as your sanitation is good, I see no reason that it can't sit out for a week. If you're going to make a habit of leaving them out long tho, I'd get a stopper/airlock instead of using aluminum foil.

As for agitating it...it probably won't do much good at this point...after 48 hours it should be getting close to fermented out.

Hey Boo Boo...no offense intended here, and that's good information...but what does it have to do with the question he asked?
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 03-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
DAAB
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You could always 'feed it' with more sanitised wort to get the numbers up and stretch it out.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've read that starters will keep for a couple of weeks in a jug like that.

After washing, I pour the yeast/sediment into beer bottles with an airlock until the yeast falls out of the liquid.

I sanitize the tubes/vials (airtight) they come in and refill them with mostly yeast and they stay good another couple of months.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
Prost!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Any starter is an improvement over just pitching a pack of liquid yeast. I would have made a larger starter and pitched at high krausen if possible. I hope you are doing an ale as that don't look to be enough to go with a lager. If it is for a lager than it will have a slow lag time.
Cheers.
It's bigger than it looks (if I had a nickel for everytime I've said that) that's a 1000 ml flask, probably 3+ cups of liquid in the starter. It' for an ale.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Last brew I did I made my starter and it hit full kraeusen a little early so, as I've read in the past, I fridged it for a day which settled out the yeast pretty nice. On brewday I pulled it out in the morning, decanted the liquid, and let it warm up to room temp. By pitching time it was foaming again and got off to a really quick start.

Just another option for next time, though I don't think you'll have any problems with that starter being at room temp since Friday if your sanitation practices were sound.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
Prost!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Last brew I did I made my starter and it hit full kraeusen a little early so, as I've read in the past, I fridged it for a day which settled out the yeast pretty nice. On brewday I pulled it out in the morning, decanted the liquid, and let it warm up to room temp. By pitching time it was foaming again and got off to a really quick start.

Just another option for next time, though I don't think you'll have any problems with that starter being at room temp since Friday if your sanitation practices were sound.
Great, thanks. I'll try that. Why decant the liquid? Why not pitch the whole starter? It's all good stuff. I made mine with 1/2 cup of Ultralight LME because I don't have any DME right now.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

The liquid doesn't really bring anything to the party, although I'll grant you that in most cases it probably doesn't hurt. But I shake my starters to get maximum yeast production and worry about stale, oxidized flavors from the starter liquid. Also note that I make 2L starters, and just don't need all that liquid...all I'm looking for ideally is pure yeast.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:24 PM   #10
Prost!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I sanitize the tubes/vials (airtight) they come in and refill them with mostly yeast and they stay good another couple of months.
I am planning on doing the same thing in White Labes vials. Do you harvest from the secondary after you've racked for bottling/kegging?