Moral dilemma...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
...but not really. Because I'm a greedy b@stard.

I placed an order for hops, from a company, last week. On Monday, I received my complete order.

Last night, I come home and there's a duplicate order!!! :eek:

So now I have twice the hops, was only charged once, and I feel like Hop-Jebus is smiling down on me! Add to that, my LHBS actually had the hops I needed for another batch (went there before I found my little bonus bundle of joy)... Needless to say, it was a REALLY GOOD DAY for hops procurement. :ban:

So, I tossed the extra in my freezer. Not sending them back (although I am considering sending them payment because I like them and don't want to upset that b!tch Karma) they went to a great home where they will be treasured and made into glorious, tasty beer. But I figured this might start an excellent moral debate about finders/keepers. I'm going to crack open a cold one, sit back, and watch the **** hit the fan.

:mug:

What dilemma? You have no obligation. They screwed up. I've had stray crap show up in my orders before...if the companies really cared that much about it, they'd implement stricter QC measures.

I would email or call them to let them know. First, right is right. Second, if it is a company that you like and want to support, you're showing good faith by letting them know.

On the other hand, someone may get in trouble for effing up the order and sending out precious hops that weren't paid for.

Tough decision, but nice score either way!

I don't think you're under a moral obligation to tell them, myself. Good karma if you do, but no points off if you don't. If they screwed up, it's on them.

I don't think you're under a moral obligation to tell them, myself. Good karma if you do, but no points off if you don't. If they screwed up, it's on them.

Yeah, and I can almost guarantee 100% that they'll tell you to just keep it. It's normally not worth the return shipping costs for them to get it back, plus it's crappy business planning...if you let the customer keep their free stuff, they'll be repeat customers, without a doubt.

all I can say is karma...I won't look at you any differently regardless of what you do...but that karma...man, she can be a ***** sometimes...

:mug:

The best reason I can see for letting the biz know is to let them know there are flaws in their shipping system. Letting them know you got a duplicate order will help them improve their system, thereby helping their profitability, thereby helping to ensure the business prospers and you get to keep buying from them. Anyone but a moron will simple thank you for bringing the issue to light and tell you to enjoy the extra hops.

Karma is for those who don't believe in altruism.

I'm not saying he needs to send it back. But I personally think he should at least notify the company and let them know. Chance are they will say thank you and allow him to keep it.

tdavisii is spot on!

My 2c worth...

Unless the supplier had previously wronged me and I felt they owed me, I would definitely call the supplier and tell them of the mistake. I've done it before and will do it again.

Yes, it was their mistake. Sure, better QC might have caught it. But mistakes happen even under the best of circumstances. If I were in the supplier's shoes, I know I'd appreciate the phone call. And then I'd let the customer have the duplicate order with my thanks.

In my mind it's no different from someone dropping money on the street and not noticing. It's their mistake for not having better QC on their wallet/pocket/purse, but I'm still going to pick it up and give it to them if I see it happen. I've done that a few times, too.

But hey, I'm also that guy who tells the waitress that she forgot to put an entree' on the bill. I put myself in the other person's position before making moral decisions.

-Joe

I don't have a soul, and I don't believe in karma, so I say keep it. Makes me feel a little better that I am in the majority on this one though :cross:.

There is a law that says that if you receive something in the mail that you didn't order, you are under no obligation and can keep it.

So, yeah, right is right.

Chances are that 2 different people filled an order and they'll never know it was duplicated.

Telling them may only get to the shipping level and make no difference at all.

I'd tell them. Chances are, it will cost them just as much to send you a UPS pick up slip to get them back and they will tell you to keep them. As you mentioned, you like them, and I'm sure the owner would appreciate your bringing the mistake to his attention.

I wonder how many times that happens?

I'm usually one selfish bastard in so many ways but I actually think I would make the call myself. I would offer to pay THEIR cost on them, not the normal sale price. What if you were making a personal deal with another brewer and you overpaid $20. How would you like it if they chalked it up to karma?

I think it's too easy to think of mail order like it's just some huge faceless corporation that can absorb any freebies and losses when it could be a day's pay out of the picker/shipper's pocket.

QC mistake, keep the hops! say a little prayer to the hop fairy.

Oh, I got down and kissed her feet... ;)

What kind of hops didja score?

Order was originally 5 oz Nugget leafs, 5 oz Centennial leafs. So now I have 10 and 10. Yeah..... nice score!!!

I'd tell them. Chances are, it will cost them just as much to send you a UPS pick up slip to get them back and they will tell you to keep them. As you mentioned, you like them, and I'm sure the owner would appreciate your bringing the mistake to his attention.

That's what I'm thinking... The order including shipping was only $24.80. It was a great price as well. So I'm already far ahead. And I don't think the hassle is worth $20 to them. I'm going to call after work and give them the heads up. But in no way will I ship back.

I wonder how many times that happens?

Not enough, my good man. Not enough!

I think it's too easy to think of mail order like it's just some huge faceless corporation that can absorb any freebies and losses when it could be a day's pay out of the picker/shipper's pocket.

Yeah, I know they're not a huge corporation (pretty sure, anyway), and I'm always the first to help the little man. So if I can help them ship right, I'll feel good.

There is a law that says that if you receive something in the mail that you didn't order, you are under no obligation and can keep it.

I am very well aware of that. No way they go back, but I want to help them tighten up the ship. Now that I gots mine, lol....

where did you buy the hops from I need to make an order up myself:p

j/k .

I would call them and tell them . I once recieved 2 fuel pumps for my 01 Firebird they are around 300 bucks at Rock Auto 495 list . I called them they were very appriciative that I did . They emailed me a return packing slip and a gift certificate for 50 bucks. But with just a small order like this I am sure they will just let you keep them

I would call them and let them know. They probably won't demand them back, but you'll sleep better at night.

Ohhhhhhhh, I slept awesomely. :D

Now if only the hop fairy would send me some free Warrior, Tomahawk, Simcoe, and Palisade I can get to cloning a ton of Nugget Nectar!!!

:drunk:

I placed an order for a wheelset for my bicycle like a year ago and they were on back order then they sent me the wrong thing. So I sent it back to them, then just the front wheel showed up. I figured they would just send me the back when it came in, but they sent me them both again. Sending the other thing back was a big hassle and I had been waiting months...so now my fixed gear commuter bike happens to have an Ultegra wheel on the front. I think you know what I would do.

Of course this was a huge company who had been jerking me around for months. If this is a struggling shop that you wish to help you could at least call them to let them know. They will probably tell you to keep it but at least they can keep their inventory straight.

i always let them know...and they've always said to keep it. same thing with recieving in my local werk, they rarely want anything back, even if it's worth a bit of dough.

about 10 years ago i found several hundred dollars in an envelope when i was working for a moving company. some of the guys working there were notorious for taking things (f those guys, btw) so i made sure to give it to the owner right away. ya know, before any temptation slips in.

i made a $50 tip that day.

Just the other day I was at the outlet store for a local furniture maker. I was hoping to get find some cabinet doors for my bar. They had two pairs for $28 each that would do the job nicely. I brought them up to the register to pay and she gave me the total, $28 plus tax. She didn't realize it was two sets. I could have walked out the door and no one would have been the wiser. I told her of her mistake and she rang up the second set and thanked me.

What goes around, comes around. If the shoe were on the other foot would you just shrug it off? If so, that would be fine. What I don't like is those who wouldn't think twice about it, but then complain to holy h*ll when the situation is reversed. Our society is becoming more and more "ized" - that's civilized, without the civil part.

Once I bought some speaker wire from BB.

Was supposed to be .78 a foot. I had 100 foot and the charge was .78 total.

The girl told me my total and I asked her twice if she was sure that it was right and she asserted it was. On the second time I asked her she actually rolled her eyes at me and got a tone.

I said "Okay" gave her a $1.65 and went about my business.

While I wasn't blunt about her error I am settled that Karma had been in balance.

i went to this ethnic restaurant once in my hometown to order some wonderful food. things are strange back there...the people kind of hate each other, on both sides of the fence.

anyway, they completely ignored me. it took forever to get an order in because they didn't want to take it from me and then they threw the food at me for pickup. when it came to paying i was once again being ignored. i sat there saying "excuse me, excuse me" for about 5 minutes until i just gave up and walked out with my free food. it was tasty...i don't THINK they spit in it :D

Back