Why I hate SWMBO - Page 10 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Why I hate SWMBO

Old 07-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #91
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Frederick, MD
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

My wife likes beer though her palette is a bit less varied than mine. I'm a balanced to slightly hoppy guy and she's a balances to disgustingly malty kinda gal, so to keep her in supply she needs to encourage me to brew varied, brew often.

The "must be obeyed" is more realistically from her monopoly on the household sex supply.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 07-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #92
SolomonsJim
Recipes 

May 2008

I agree with a previous post: SWMBO is a term I find kinda stupid; however, it seems to appear on this forum repeatedly, and by many folks who were here long before me, so, while I don't use it, I don't get hung up by it either.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #93
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Maybe I'm just a bit of a pervert, I dunno, but I quite like the challenge of having a missus that offers a certain amount of resistance to my hobby. When it comes to buying equipment the price is an obstacle, but not one that talks back. The missus, however, at least injects an element of sport into the issue. Buying a new peice of equipment is like reeling in a really big fish. Tug a little, let her run, tug again, wear her down and reel in the new kettle.

It's especially helpful that my missus regularly takes up a new "hobby of the year". Currently, it is sewing. "I need a new sewing table" Yes dear, you can have that....2 weeks later, "Hello new gas burner, my you're looking sexy today" At the moment, I'm trying to accumulate the gear I need to go AG. I am confidently seeking out the best prices, while at the same time I still haven't yet manipulated the missus past the "There is no way you are going to burn down the garage" stage. Tug a little, let her swim, tug a little......

I swear, if I had a missus that offered no resistance at all, then brewing would be half the fun.

Edit: Of course, having said all that. I know that she is doing the same with me too!!

Old 07-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #94
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
East Dundee, Illinois
Liked 53 Times on 48 Posts

My wife supports me in brewing, or at least doesn't make a fuss about it, just as I don't fuss about her hobbies. As long as I spend enough time with her she doesn't begrudge me the alone time I need. Money is not an issue since we set up a budget when we got married, I can spend my fun money however I like, just have to save up for equipment.

I don't use the term SWMBO, but I do think it is amusing and people need to be wayyy less uptight.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 07-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #95
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBrit View Post
Maybe I'm just a bit of a pervert, I dunno, but I quite like the challenge of having a missus that offers a certain amount of resistance to my hobby. When it comes to buying equipment the price is an obstacle, but not one that talks back. The missus, however, at least injects an element of sport into the issue. Buying a new peice of equipment is like reeling in a really big fish. Tug a little, let her run, tug again, wear her down and reel in the new kettle.

It's especially helpful that my missus regularly takes up a new "hobby of the year". Currently, it is sewing. "I need a new sewing table" Yes dear, you can have that....2 weeks later, "Hello new gas burner, my you're looking sexy today" At the moment, I'm trying to accumulate the gear I need to go AG. I am confidently seeking out the best prices, while at the same time I still haven't yet manipulated the missus past the "There is no way you are going to burn down the garage" stage. Tug a little, let her swim, tug a little......

I swear, if I had a missus that offered no resistance at all, then brewing would be half the fun.

Edit: Of course, having said all that. I know that she is doing the same with me too!!
Heh. Both me and SW... the wif.... missu... Both of us laughed at that one. I think we fall more into the trading of hobby expenses, though. She doesn't hassle me at all about brewing. In fact, she often picks up my ingredients for me when she goes shopping in the city. Nobody needs to 'obey' in my house (except the kids), but cooperation and mutual financial decision making is essential.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #96
Neunelfer

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Northern California
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So you were invited over to your friend's house and argued with his wife? Have some respect man sheesh.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #97
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Tempe
Liked 41 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim chillingsworth View Post
this has no basis in anything other than conforming to stereotypes. beer is a flavorful beverage and it's no more "a guy thing" than any other aspect of the culinary arts.
I did a quick survey here at work so we would have some basis for the comment, "in general terms men like beer more than women"
Here are the results.

It's true.

Game over.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #98
dilligas2u

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Hanover PA

My better half goes to the brew store with me.. and God help me if I crack one open and don't bring her one... The cost of some things need to be worked out but most times I get what I want.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #99
MrNate
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bridgewater, NJ
Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts

Me, I never cared for the whole "SWMBO" moniker. I prefer the term "Crazy Bitch" for my wife.

...I keed, I keed.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #100
StunnedMonkey

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Fort Wayne, IN
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Hey, here's a photo of my, uh, "SWMBO" a few years ago in the Augustiner Bier Garten in Munich, on our honeymoon. She seems to enjoy a good brew.

The only beer-related crap I ever get from her is when we run out of Two-Hearted Ale. The woman HATES running out of Two-Hearted Ale.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA