Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > bottle bombs 4 months later?

Old 07-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
flyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default bottle bombs 4 months later?

I bottled up some Hefy on mid March and put them in the dining area of our appartment covered with a blanet to prevent light exposure. This last weekend, I'm sitting in the bedroom when I hear what sounds like someone dropped a glass in the kitchen. I run out there and can smell the beer right away. I look under the blanket and I see one of my bottles shattered. I clean it up not thinking anything about it when about an hour later I hear the same sound. Now, it's been in the 110's here the last few days and the air has been working hard keeping the appartment between 78-82. So I CAREFULLY move the bottle to the fridge and no more bombs. (oven mitts, tongs, athletic cup) I've never had any do this before. These aren't gushers when I open them up. Of course, I usually let them sit in the fridge a couple day before I open them up. So, I'm thinking the higher room temps was causing them to blow. Anyone else have a similar problem where summer heat causing bottles to burst?

Old 07-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
chachi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That is crazy. At least you wore the proper protection.
: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Keg 1: "Wing Ding" Bohemian Lager
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty
On Deck: Diapers and sleep

Old 07-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah,

My wife and I left town for 3 days. It was the first hot weekend the beer had seen, and poof. When we got home, it was a hot sticky mess.