Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Adding lime to my next batch

Old 07-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
kjung
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Adding lime to my next batch

After trying Blue Moon's Summer Ale (brewed with Kaffir[?] Lime leaves) last year, my fiance' has been on me to try adding lime to a batch.
I'm not much of a fan of lime in beer (brings back too many flashbacks to my bartending days in the 80's, and the "Corona-with-a-lime" yuppie mantra), and I am planning on brewing a Pale Ale and an Alt for my next batches, within the next week or so.
My question is, how can I accomodate my beautiful and lovely, with out having to make a whole batch ? I am thinking about adding lime juice or possibly dried lime leaves to the bottling bucket when I am about half-way through, but am open to any and all suggestions (other than getting a woman that doesn't like lime in her beer !).

P.S.- I was also thinking about dry hopping the Pale Ale. Will that do anything "negative" to the brew if I add lime to it ?

Old 07-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You could try steeping Kaffir leaves in Vodka, or Lemongrass if you can't find the Kaffir. Then you can adjust to taste at bottling time. I wouldn't add regular Limes.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
svraines
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Make a strong lime tea out of your kaffir leaves and lime peel,throw in the juice too, using at bottling of your pale ale, bottle the first 4 gallons, then add the tea to the bucket and bottle 1 gallon of limey beer. Or just put a slice of lime on her pint.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Evan! made a lime beer at one point, using those leaves IIRC. I tried it, I thought it had a bit of a pithy-aftertaste (a little bit like licking the back of a lime peel), but that could have just been me.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 07-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

You could use a combination of keffir leaves and lime zest. You could try it as an infusion either with vodka or steeping it with water, and add it to the bottling bucket.

Or you could get a three gallon fermenter (Even a water bottle for 2 weeks would be ok) as a secondary and rack half the batch over and add the zest and leaves , or the infusion to that.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

+1 on bottle 4 gallons and secondry the last gallon with zest. I'd be very careful not to get any white pith in it though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I added lime to a wheat beer recently and it came out really great, I already went through it once, but essentially it consisted of making both a lime extract and a lime bitter and adding both to taste.

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=69947