Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wine > Hard Iced Tea

Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #31
18thstatebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I did the original posted recipe yesterday. Instead of using Arizona tea I used sweet leaf. It says organic and that no preservatives are added. I haven't had any yeast activity yet, but hopefully soon.

Quick question. Has anyone ever tried tried dry hopping their hard tea??

Old 10-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #32
UpNAdam47
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'll be making this tonight, sounds good

Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #33
Countryboy73
Recipes 

I always keep ice tea in the fridge. I'm gonna make this, sounds good.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #34
sneeron
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

SWMBO likes twisted tea. I tried making it with light DME and split 5 different gallon batches. I used green tea, black tea and instant ice tea crystals. I also did a tea reduction for both green tea and black tea before adding. Nothing turned out right. I have not tried in some time but found this thread and might try a gallon test batch. I have found through resurch that twisted is made by making a base beer unhopped the pumping through charcoal filters until you have a clear " zima" if you will. Then they flavor and sweeten. The fitter process eliminates the yeast and the add preservatives at packaging. After learning all this I hadn't thought of doing it again until this thread made me rethink the recipe.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #35
Rigger103
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm headed to the store but I'm buying Swiss Premium Ice Tea Lemon aid Cooler to use as my base and I'm jumping right in to a 5 gallon batch. Sounds like one gallon is a waste of time.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:34 AM   #36
Rigger103
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ok this is what I did.....5 gals of sugar sweetened Swiss Premium Lemon tea cooler, One can of frozen lemon aid. 4 lbs of cane sugar, yeast and yeast nutrient. Wine yeast. It started fermenting slow but today its cooking along. SG was 1,080 to start.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #37
kingogames
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Default Kombucha Hard Tea

I haven't seen this anywhere else online, but I tried this today since it is snowing outside. I have been making Kombucha for a while now, and I wanted to make it into a hard tea. Here's what I did for a 1 gal batch:

1 gal for my homemade Kombucha (aged about 7-10 days)- I think, can't remember exactly when I started this batch, I use a continuous brew system, so it's hard to tell.

3.5 oz. grated ginger- grated with a microplane

I boiled the Kombucha and ginger (well, simmered) for 15 min to kill any wild yeast, bacteria or other nasties in it. I would like some feedback as to whether this was necessary. I just didn't want to F- with the alcohol fermentation.

After boiling, I added 2 cups dark brown sugar & let cool in the primary until suitable for pitching yeast. While cooling, I put yeast (Nottingham) in 1/2 cu. warm water with 1/2 tsp. of yeast nutrient in a seperate container to "bloom."

Once cool, I added in the yeast mixture to the kombucha, ginger, sugar "wort."

I loaned my hydrometer to my dad, so I didn't get the OG, but based on other recipes for different stuff, this should come out somwhere in the 7% ABV range. (Comments/Feedback)

Stirred to combine/further hydrate/airate. Put lid on & airlock.

Here's the plan...

Will let it ferment 14 days, then I'll check it. If no activity, will rack to a carboy. I'm going to try it, and if not sweet enough, will want to add some sweetner to the secondary (reccommendations, tips please, this is my first time doing anything like this)

I'm thinking 30 days in the secondary, with airlock.

Then bottle with priming sugar. If cloudy, I will clear with gelatin. How long should I let it sit in the bottle? I'm thinking 2 weeks min.

Like I said, this is my first time doing anything like this, so please comment on anything and everything. This forum has been an invaluable help to me. Note: I have (am) celiac, so I am looking for a unique beer replacement, and I love Kombucha, so I thought this would be a cool experiment. What do you think?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 AM   #38
Mobius570
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

After reading this thread, I was inspired to try something similar, but I may have went over board.

1/2 gallon water and added DME, boiled for 15 min
Added 1/2 Gal of Arizona Sweet Tea tot he primary and poured the wort onto it
Pitched Nottingham yeast that I had washed the other day

Planning on adding the other half of the Arizona Sweet Tea after a few weeks to back sweeten. Then I will let that sit in the secondary for two weeks or so. We will see what happens. It didn't taste too bad so far, kind of like a malty sweet tea.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #39
Countryboy73
Recipes 

I've been eyeing this for a while now. I finally got it brewing last weekend, it's only a 2.5 gallon batch. I'm using a mr beer keg.

I used
32 Lipton tea bags
4 cups sugar
I packet lalvin k1-v1116 yeast

I'm now sitting here waiting impatiently for it. I haven't desided yet whether to carb it or not.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #40
Countryboy73
Recipes 

When I started this brew I wasn't able to get a starting gravity. I finally got a hydrometer and the reading is .998. Should I let it go a little longer? I tasted it and theres not much tea taste. When I back sweeten it I'm going to top it off with more tea. What's the best sweetener to use to back sweeten the tea?