National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Found a scratch in the neck of a plastic water bottle, still ok to use?

Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
Ryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Found a scratch in the neck of a plastic water bottle, still ok to use?

Well, it isn't "really" a better bottle, but it is one of those absopure water jugs. Anyways, I was inspecting it the other day (It was given to me by a co-worker) and I found a scratch in the neck of the bottle. Should I not use this because it could contaminate a batch, or would I be ok if I just washed it out with oxyclean?

Old 06-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 303 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would not recommend it. If it has a lid, I would fill it with RO water and add an ounce of Starsan and keep it as my ready sanitizer bottle.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the advice Ed. I wasn't sure if it was worth the risk or not. I really like the suggestion of using it for a sanitizer jug. I think I am going to use that one.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 303 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yep, save a few bucks now, but waste 30 bucks on a batch, plus all the time invested. It's the time more than anything I hate to waste (it goes by so fast as you get older).

Old 07-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2842 Times on 1687 Posts
Likes Given: 3502

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
I would not recommend it. If it has a lid, I would fill it with RO water and add an ounce of Starsan and keep it as my ready sanitizer bottle.
If you can't find a lid for it, consider getting one of these water cooler thingies...

Then you can have hot and cold running sanitizer.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew