Munich Helles.... on the cob - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Munich Helles.... on the cob

Old 06-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Houston, Texas
Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts

If you only used 30% pilsener, you're probably fine, even with only a 60 minute boil. You would know if you had a problem.

If you want some idea what DMS smells like, open a bag of Fritos if you want to know what the classic, corny DMS smells like. Open a can of asparagus if you want to know what the "vegetal" DMS smells like.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 06-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
nathan

Recipes 

Apr 2008
NC
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

no sweat. You want it as-is to sniff DMS?
If that's all you want it for, you will find this easier: go to the grocery store. Look for canned corn. Crack open the can. Sniff.

I am not joking, I'm 100% serious. I'd put money on it being the exact chemical compound that you are smelling in both cases.

But if you really want some Munich Helles on the cob, I can pinch you off a bottle when I move it to keg around the 13th of July. I usually have plenty of extra in the fermenter that won't fit in the keg.

Is it okay to just mail standard bottled beers like that?

Old 06-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
nathan

Recipes 

Apr 2008
NC
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

BM,
I'm a little embarrassed, but I hadn't even made the connections between "munich" helles and plain old helles when I brewed it either, so it really is a rough learning batch.

I'll definitely crank the heat on the pilsner-malt batches from here out.

Would you do a ninety instead of the 50minute at 150F, or in place of the 158F (20min), or some combo or balance?

With my cooler, I don't mind stepping at all now. Using Kaiser's decoction video made this a simple thing to do.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #14
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 798 Times on 438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
BM,
I'm a little embarrassed, but I hadn't even made the connections between "munich" helles and plain old helles when I brewed it either, so it really is a rough learning batch.

I'll definitely crank the heat on the pilsner-malt batches from here out.

Would you do a ninety instead of the 50minute at 150F, or in place of the 158F (20min), or some combo or balance?

With my cooler, I don't mind stepping at all now. Using Kaiser's decoction video made this a simple thing to do.
I do a single infusion. For a helles I shoot for 154 fro 90 minutes. Nice medium temp and no worries about stepping for me. Though over 90 minutes I do drop down to about 151 by the end.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #15
Special Hops
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Kanatenah
Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts

Thanks for the DMS lessons

Old 06-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #16
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Sierra Vista, AZ
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts

want a good representation of DMS? Drink a Rolling Rock, they have built a beer around DMS

Old 07-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #17
Jack
Recipes 

Aug 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
no sweat. You want it as-is to sniff DMS?
If that's all you want it for, you will find this easier: go to the grocery store. Look for canned corn. Crack open the can. Sniff.

I am not joking, I'm 100% serious. I'd put money on it being the exact chemical compound that you are smelling in both cases.

But if you really want some Munich Helles on the cob, I can pinch you off a bottle when I move it to keg around the 13th of July. I usually have plenty of extra in the fermenter that won't fit in the keg.

Is it okay to just mail standard bottled beers like that?
While I was originally serious, if DMS is that obvious I'm probably fine. I'm enjoying the beer, so I don't see any reason to stress out about it.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #18
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Houston, Texas
Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts

That sounds like the right attitude, Jack.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 07-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #19
nathan

Recipes 

Apr 2008
NC
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm not stressed either. It's a learning process, after all. I didn't expect to get a light beer based mostly on pilsner malts perfect the first time I tried it.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #20
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
Liked 117 Times on 71 Posts

+1 great thread.

I brewed a blonde ale recently with pilsner malt and intentionally boiled it for only 60 minutes. I wanted a little hint of DMS so it tastes a bit like an American lager. It was really rough at bottling but after two months of conditioning it has mellowed out and I think the effect is spot on.

- Eric