Schwarzbier Glibbidy Schwarzbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glibbidy

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 830
Yeast Starter
yes- Masive
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
27 days at 50f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
55 days at 42f
Water 48 oz to 1 lb malt

Malt Percentage
Chocolate Malt 1.00%
Weyermann Carafa special III 2.00%
Crystal Malt 6.00%
Munich Malt 51.00%
Malted Wheat 4.00%
Pilsner malt 36.00%

Target IBU 30
Hops IBU's Addition Phase
Perle 20 Kettle addition
Hallertau Traditonal 7 Middle Addition
Hallertau Traditonal 3 Late Addition
Tettnang 1 ounce Knockout

whirlfloc 1/2 tab 15 minutes left
Gypsum 1.0 oz mash
Gypsum .5oz in sparge

Boil Time 90 minutes
Target Gravity 1.052
Actual Gravity 1.052
Terminal Gravity 1.012
Projected ABV 5.20%
Plato 12.9
Volume Yielded 10 gallons

Single decotion mash.
protein rest at 129f
After 10 minutes, pulled %40 of mash for decoction and raised temp to 152 and let decoction rest for 5 minutes.
Then performed 15 minute single decoction.
Returned decoction to mash for Saccharification Rest at 152f for 30 minutes
mash out at 169f

I think the WLP 830 strain worked really well in balancing the amount of Munich malt in this beer. I was very pleased with my results. Next time around I may try this with some Crystal Hops in the Kettle.

Northern Brewer calls the Weyerman Carafa III de-husked...which is what I originally used.

This is a style that i've never tried to create. Is the recipe true to the standards of the style? I'm really not versed in this one.

Aside from the addition of the wheat, I think this recipe is very true to the style. I prefer to keep the Munich just over 50% on this one.
Some brewers have even been known to add roasted barley to the grist.

Most of the craft brewed examples I have tried are always too roasty. I think Glibbidy's recipe sounds like a very good representation of the style

Brewed this today. I hit the 1.052 target spot on despite forgetting it's a 90 minute boil and doing the standard 60. Probably not a big deal but only time will tell. I'll do my best to remember to post here when it's drinkable! Cheers!

Brewed this today. I hit the 1.052 target spot on despite forgetting it's a 90 minute boil and doing the standard 60. Probably not a big deal but only time will tell. I'll do my best to remember to post here when it's drinkable! Cheers!

Hopefully you'll get lucky and not get DMS forming.

Back