Well today was one heck of a long day. I'm used to the 3 hour extract brew process, and today took almost 6 hours. Of course, I think I can get it down to 5 hours without too much trouble. I'm still getting used to my burner.
I did the AHS Honey Blonde Ale.
My mash efficiency was 68%. I did the NMODBS recommended on these forums. I'm using a rectangular cooler with a CPVC manifold.
I used pH 5.2 in the mash, but I forgot to add it until after I had added the grain. I also mashed in a little lower temp than I was trying to. I had to add some additional water to get the temp up to 152F.
I didn't completely drain my first runnings before doing my first sparge, which probably affected my efficiency.
At the end I couldn't get the wort to cool below 82. The tap water is just too hot, and we were out of ice. I pitched anyways and I have my fingers crossed. It's in the 65F basement now.
My brewhouse efficiency was 63%. I couldn't get all of the honey out of that little bag. Honey recipes are out from now on. They're more trouble than they're worth.
Anyways, at least I've got the first one under my belt. Now I can start working on figuring out how to make everything work how it should.
I'm thinking Edwort's Haus Pale ale for next week.