Brewing Water Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see it as a problem with too much spare time. I have enough problems making good beer and this does sound extreme and I have plenty of time but would not bother with this nonsense.

Sounds like a good time even if it doesn't turn out good. Pilsner was probably a good choice though.

It was a good time. This was a homebrew club activity. We drank a bunch of good beer while morphing swill into something that is hopefully tasty and quite drinkable.

Its definitely not practical, its all for novelty and camaraderie's sake. A dozen of us got together pitched in $5 bucks and brought the cheapest 12er of swill that money could buy and of course something good to drink from our home brew stash. Then had at it...

We had pizza delivered too. It was all in good fun to say the least.

:mug:

I see it as a problem with too much spare time. I have enough problems making good beer and this does sound extreme and I have plenty of time but would not bother with this.
Yeah, same here. But I'm reading this at work, and I am amused as hell that somewhere there are people attempting to turn sh|te beer into beer. I'm really looking forward to finding out how this turns out. :tank:

Isn't there a limit to what you can expect a liquid to hold in solution? It seems that you'd reach saturation and the "water" just wouldn't hold your new ingrediants in solution, so they'd settle out.

sound fun, but funner yet, DRINK the beer ! boil the water !, mantra , mantra

This is the water, its just been treated for brewing!!! :D

BMC_Imperial_Pils_027.jpg

Shockingly, this beer was AWESOME!

Made from miller lite, bud lite, natural light, milwaukee's bests, bush light.

It had a nice balance of malt & hops. I couldn't believe that it was that drinkable.

Further proof of, RDWHAHB. All the negative comments before and in the end its still homebrew. Although this does create problems for the "Garbage in=Garbage out" theory...

Congratulations on pushing the boundaries of brewing madness!

OK - I am having this with the Sunday late lunch.

Galena - Fire In The Hole Chicken. & BMC Imperial Pils.

BMC_Pils_001.jpg

Good flocculation is not there or its got chill haze, its got an american wheat type of clarity. Attenuation is a bit low but its still pretty balanced. It reminds me of a Belgian Tripel. It gets good marks from me and the club. I give it 8.7/10. Exceeding expectation by miles. Very drinkable to say the least. Lessons learned: It could probably use some drying out by dropping some amalyse enzyme into the 2ndary. If there is a next time, maybe we should do this enzyme thing, it might improve clarity.

I must say this was done out of club comraderie!!! :rockin:

Overall I'd say this was fun. If you have a HB Club you might find this a great activity. I'd do it again. There is always something to be learned.

BMC_Pils_002.jpg

That is some beautiful looking beer, much improved over the BMC that it started life as!

After reading all of this stuff, I wonder...

Is it possible that any astronauts, especially onboard ISS or MIR while it existed, have made any illicit hooch or "spacebrew" of some sort? By definition, the brewing water they would be using would be recycled from urine, thus being "way out there" in more ways than one. Although I wonder if this is all academic anyway since the CO2 produced by the space-yeast might be detrimental to the astro[cosmo]nauts safety and the onboard CO2 scrubbers?

Sorry for the threadjack, this alternative brew thinking got me thinking...

That is some beautiful looking beer, much improved over the BMC that it started life as!

After reading all of this stuff, I wonder...

Is it possible that any astronauts, especially onboard ISS or MIR while it existed, have made any illicit hooch or "spacebrew" of some sort? By definition, the brewing water they would be using would be recycled from urine, thus being "way out there" in more ways than one. Although I wonder if this is all academic anyway since the CO2 produced by the space-yeast might be detrimental to the astro[cosmo]nauts safety and the onboard CO2 scrubbers?

Sorry for the threadjack, this alternative brew thinking got me thinking...

Interesting thought... I think the yeast would have some trouble, though, since without gravity causing density to sort itself out vertically, the CO2 would not bubble out of solution, but instead make a bubble of swiss-cheese like beer, until the bubbles got close enough to combine... I'm guessing at that point, you'd have a large hollow bubble of beer surrounding CO2, or perhaps just a very large mess...

You'd need to ferment in a centrifuge, I think...

Interesting thought... I think the yeast would have some trouble, though, since without gravity causing density to sort itself out vertically, the CO2 would not bubble out of solution, but instead make a bubble of swiss-cheese like beer, until the bubbles got close enough to combine... I'm guessing at that point, you'd have a large hollow bubble of beer surrounding CO2, or perhaps just a very large mess...

You'd need to ferment in a centrifuge, I think...

LOL- I can see the astronaut complaining that he keeps having boil-overs. Not to mention it would be an all day affair keeping the pot on the burner.

I don't think our homebrew club will try urine. It would be novel though. A hell of lot crazier than using swill.

AMAZING!!!

Was the BMC Imperial Pils cold crashed then lagered? I imagine this could help clarity.

Also, I'd add some flocculant to the fermenter if I ran out of ideas to clear it up.

FYI - Turtleweis contacted DFH about this. Here is their reply back.
That's a pretty neat brewing trial-- although a little pricey compared to using good old tap water! Some big breweries use last runnings from the lauter tun as mash water for the next brew, so this is kind of a variant on that approach.
Keep having fun,

Andrew Tveekrem
Brewmaster
Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
6 Cannery Village Center
Milton, DE 19968

What you really should do is send the pictures and summary to BMC and see what their reply would be. Cool concept!

Was the BMC Imperial Pils cold crashed then lagered? Here is his reply via email.

Last year I was stepping on my own toes with doing 4 lagers using the same fermenter and really messing with the Diacetyl rests and cold crashing and lagering, so this year I emailed JZ and his advice was to hold it extra long at a constant 52degF and you won't need a specific diacetyl rest. So this year I did exactly that, but had to sacrifice the ability to cold crash since, again, I had 3 other lagers fermenting at different stages and didn't want to jeopardize crashing them as well. What I need is a 5th fridge or freezer to do cold crashing.

Never had any problems with diacetyl so his advice on that was golden.

(As for the BMC Pils) After lagering at 52degF, it was bottled and is still conditioning at 52degF. I guess a person could cold crash several bottles before drinking. how much time in a standard 34degF fridge would it take to settle the haze in a bottle?

Thats a dumb idea...In fact very dumb...are you kidding

+1 on what the hell are you thinking?!?!

for one thing beer has way too low of a Ph for use as water for brewing. im sure other people can tell you everything else thats horribly wrong with that idea.

You need to find a new brew club hahaha

Have you ever boild beer for brats or cooked with beer. A. it makes beer smell bad and B. its going to boil over all the time because of the carb. If you are going to do what you say, the results are going to be nothing short of nasty.

Here is some more of my critical thinking...Don't do it...get some nice spring water and have a great brew day making great tasting beer.

words = eaten :rockin:

BMC_Pils_002.jpg

Awesome work!

This is soooooo cool. What a fun group idea.

Back