Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Using oxyclean

Old 06-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
mr_bell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Using oxyclean

What concentration (i.e. X/gallon) of oxyclean is recommneded for cleaning brewing equipment?

Old 06-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
BREW N QUE
Recipes 

I have found that it doesn't take much. I usually use around 1/8 cup for a couple gallons. If you use much more it takes a lot more rinsing. I don't think there is a specific amount you have to use. If I am trying to remove a stain or for soaking bottles I will use more. I haven't found anything that takes labels off bottles better - soak for a couple hours and most fill fall right off.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

I don't know if anyones measured, I haven't...When I'm cleaning out a bucket or carboy post fermentation I just dump 2 big scoops in then fill with hot/warm water....

I buy the big bulk boxes of oxy, so mine has the large scoop, as opposed to the small tablespoon looking sized one in the small containers.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
JVD_X
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The important thing is to rinse it using COLD water... the hot water won't do as good a job getting the residue off.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts

I use 2 tablespoons for 5 gallons...takes the krausen ring right off the carboy overnight.
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

Old 06-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

make sure its Oxyclean FREE! you don't want perfumes in your brew gear, especially anything plastic
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 12-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #7
Torg
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The actual formula for cleaning is 1Tbsp per gallon. I usually just use one of the scoop fulls (that come in the bucket) to my 5 gallon kegs, carboys and buckets. I used to use dish washing detergent in my buckets but was using allot of water to rinse. I since have gone to Sodium Percarbonate and water for 24 hours and a rinse (and yes I use the cheap Oxyclean as it does not have detergents).

I used it on my sisters water tank (she has a 500 gallon well) that was badly infected with green slime mold. 10 scoops of cheap Oxyclean and fill it up. Next day it was as fresh as the day we cleaned it (well it was an IBC tote with Root Bear extract).

Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts

2 tablespoons for a 6.5 carboy filled to the top is enough for removing the krausen ring.

Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy