@#$%^& hornets!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireBrewer

Assistant Brewer
Reaction score
So tonight I head to the mailbox to get the mail. Got the mail, reach underneath to the paperbox and ZAP!!! About the same time I pull my hand out I hear one buzzing around by my neck, so I swat him with my hand and try to do a 180 and haul balls. Problem is I'm wearing sandals (loosely) and we live on a dirt-and-gravel road. You can imagine what happens next...

Managed to scurry away, sandals in the road. Besides my middle finger swelling up from the @#$% bee sting, my knees are bleeding and my palms have some nice road rash. :rolleyes:

Walk down the driveway to the garage, grab a can of bee bomb, watch as a confused person slowly drives by in their car, wondering why there's sandals, car keys, and mail in the road.

Nuked the orange-sized nest, picked up my sandals and all the crap I tossed as I was frantically trying to get away, and headed inside. I'm surprised the nest got that big that quickly, paper was in there for less than 24 hours. Meanwhile my mother-in-law and wife were inside wondering where I was...

It's been a long time since I've been stung by a bee, forgot what it felt like. :cross: Tonight's pain medication, one of these 3 beauties:

IMG_0289.jpg

@#$^%^!!!!! :mad:

Two years ago I had a problem with wasps that built a nest in the ground by my front door. we tried a bee bomb and it didnt even slow the bastards down. well about 4 nights later we see skunk in our front yard he walks right up to the nest and starts digging up the hive and devouring every wasp that tries to fly away. now I love skunks.

Last time I got stung I discovered I'm now allergic to bee stings. I spent 4hours and several hundred dollars at the ER. My yard has gone downhill since then, fire-ants are little bees not ants so I have to look down and up

Im really glad your not allergic and ok. I would of had to haul ass to the house to get a Epinephrine shot.

Thanks. Yeah, thought I was starting---got stung a few times a few years ago and every time the reaction got worse (as they tend to do). Thought I was going to wind up buying an Epi pen.

Didn't know that about skunks. Tough, stinky little suckers. :D

By the way, PSA for Epi Pens---make sure the needle is pointing to your leg. Seen it the other way a few times, that's gotta suck!!! :drunk:

Didn't know that about skunks. Tough, stinky little suckers. :D

Yup! And raccoons will, too. One of my homebrewin' pals in Seattle has a really cute video of two 'coons going after a hornets nest in one of her shrubs. They'd get stung every now and then, rub the tender spot with their little paws, then go right on after the nest. Persistent!

I hate the stupid buggers.

I just got blasted this weekend too. Not just once, but 2 separate times.

I was mowing the lawn and walked by my neighbors fence, which is missing the cap on the end of the fence.. BAM. I took 2 in the eyelid and 3 in the ear. I wasn't as much shocked as I was mad. I wanted to punch a wasp in the face...

3 hours later, I was cutting up an old log on my fence line in the back yard and BAM. Took another blast, this time from bees. Big, huge, quarter sized bees. They were nesting in a crack in the log and I pissed them off.
My lab was right by me when it happened and she went after the bees and took a couple stingers to the face as well.

I don't think i've been stung in 20 years. I wasn't hurt, I didn't swell or anything like that, I was just angry.

we had hornets build a nest underground along side my parents house (apparently the builder thought it'd be a good idea to just bury the extra singles next to the house...

yeah. it was like a hornet hotel.

My family is in the construction business so we attacked it the only way we know of...

with a track-hoe and an eight foot hole in the ground.

trackhoe2-1.jpg

I took 2 in the eyelid and 3 in the ear.

Now THAT'S gotta hurt! Seems to be like tatoos...the less fat and more nerve endings, the more pain. :drunk:

with a track-hoe and an eight foot hole in the ground.

That'll do. :D

Looked back in there this morning and one hornet was flying around, looking for his house. Gonna keep an eye on it should he decided to rebuild...:mad:

By the way, PSA for Epi Pens---make sure the needle is pointing to your leg. Seen it the other way a few times, that's gotta suck!!! :drunk:

Yoicks! Never had to use my pen -- I have them for a food allergy.
Another PSA from my allergist: I keep a piece of paper wrapped around the pen with a rubberband that says "CALL 911, GET PARAMEDICS" on it, in case I can't talk. Once you've epi'ed yourself, you still need to get to the ER, and paramedics are better equipped than just having an ambulance sent.

I've had trouble with paper wasps and yellow jackets, so when a pair of barn swallows nested on top of the patio light, I left them alone. They came back this year and I'm holding up on a project until the chicks are on their own. Shouldn't be too long, as they started flying two days ago.

When I was probably 9 or 10 I ran over a nest with the lawn mower. About fifty of those f^ckers flew out and went up my pants and all around my head. I got 3 in the temple and 5 on my inner thigh. Now whenever I see a bee/hornet/wasp flying around me I just keep calm and they go away.

I was about 14-15 and with a couple of friends hiking through the woods. We went off the trail to find a shortcut back down to the beach. We found a stream and followed its banks down figuring that it would deposit into Puget Sound. Long story short - while following the stream it came to a swampy end and I stood on a fallen log to see which way to go. My foot went right through and into a wasp nest. The guys I was with were allergic and bailed with my foot stuck in this log. I managed to pull my foot out losing my shoe stuck in the woods, kind of lost with these bastards up my pant legs, in my shirt, stuck in my hair.

I run and run. After a while I get them all off my and am alone. After an hour more I find my way out and go home. My parents helped me count the stings - all said and done we gave up after counting 40 - yes 40 - on my head, face and neck alone. I was stuck in the nest for a little while... :drunk:

I feel your pain brother - glad you got them back.

I am not allergic but I absolutely hate bees. When I was doing roofing I fell off a roof once while swatting at bees. Luckily it wasnt high and I still got stung.
We used to find monster nests all the time. We had a nest behind a facia board once that was almost like 2 basketballs together, 10" x 10" x 24", luckily the facia board came off really quick so we saw it and bailed out of there and called exterminators, I wasnt going to deal with that. We had to leave the job for the rest of the day it was so bad. Thousands of bees everywhere. I sat in my truck, called my boss, and told him I would not work that job until it was taken care off. He told me to just do some ground work there, we couldnt even do anything on the ground that we had to do. That many god Damn bees!! My boss came later to check if the bees really where that bad, yeah he just stung 5 times, within a few minutes of walking around the house.
I am a big guy but I will run like a little girl if I hear one of those little $#*&$ ers around me. Gives me the chills just thinking about it.

Now THAT'S gotta hurt! Seems to be like tatoos...the less fat and more nerve endings, the more pain. :drunk:

That'll do. :D

Looked back in there this morning and one hornet was flying around, looking for his house. Gonna keep an eye on it should he decided to rebuild...:mad:

make sure you kill the Queen! if she is there they'll keep rebuilding!

Once you've epi'ed yourself, you still need to get to the ER, and paramedics are better equipped than just having an ambulance sent.

You got it! (been a paramedic for 8 years; EMT for 8 years before that ;) )

I feel your pain brother - glad you got them back.

:eek: You definitely felt more pain than I did! My finger's all swollen/itchy/sore today, can't image what you felt like after that!

My boss came later to check if the bees really where that bad, yeah he just stung 5 times, within a few minutes of walking around the house.

:D If there ever was a time to say "I told you so"...(hope you did ;))

Meanwhile my mother-in-law and wife were inside wondering where I was...

@#$^%^!!!!! :mad:

That'll learn ya good... next time send the mother in law out for the paper...

Glad to hear your no worse for the wear. I used to be highly alergic to bees when I was a kid . Had to have a syringe and some meds in the fridge all summer long. Seem to have outgrown it

Back