F><k you Microsoft and your stupid f><king ideas! - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > F><k you Microsoft and your stupid f><king ideas!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

Oh, come ON, people. Does anyone know how to use Google? ANYONE? I found this a LONG time ago...

1. Click Start -> Run
2. Enter “gpedit.msc”
3. Go to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
4. Double-click on “No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Update installation”
5. Enable it!
6. Reboot the computer

Also, it will continue to pop those little "you should restart your computer to complete the update installation, motherf*cker" balloons in your face every couple minutes until you restart manually, so I also recommend, in that same "windows update" component manager, click on "re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations", and then set the time in between restart reminders (mine's set to 360 minutes).

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #12
jfrizzell

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Iowa
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
That's probably one of the reasons why they tell you to close all other programs...so you won't lose anything...
That's the problem. They don't tell you. The updates are downloaded and installed automatically and then a window will pop up and tell you that the computer will reboot in 5:00. If you're not there to tell it not to, it will just go ahead and reboot, open programs or not. It appears there are certain updates that will force a reboot and if you're not around - tough, it's rebooting without you.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
That's the problem. They don't tell you. The updates are downloaded and installed automatically and then a window will pop up and tell you that the computer will reboot in 5:00. If you're not there to tell it not to, it will just go ahead and reboot, open programs or not. It appears there are certain updates that will force a reboot and if you're not around - tough, it's rebooting without you.
Your troubles are over, see my previous post for the solution. In the future, I'm tellin' ya, Google has the answer. Type in your problem, it spits out 8 million websites with solutions.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=my+dick+is+falling+off

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #14
jfrizzell

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Oh, come ON, people. Does anyone know how to use Google? ANYONE? I found this a LONG time ago...

1. Click Start -> Run
2. Enter “gpedit.msc”
3. Go to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
4. Double-click on “No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Update installation”
5. Enable it!
6. Reboot the computer

Also, it will continue to pop those little "you should restart your computer to complete the update installation, motherf*cker" balloons in your face every couple minutes until you restart manually, so I also recommend, in that same "windows update" component manager, click on "re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations", and then set the time in between restart reminders (mine's set to 360 minutes).
Right! Me too

Like I said above, I changed the policy setting, but the problem is, it appears that Microsoft has put these settings back to default because mine is rebooting again. I've already set it back to not reboot, but it doesn't change the fact that is pisses me off. Don't reboot, and don't change the don't reboot setting back to reboot, motherf*ckers!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #15
jfrizzell

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Your troubles are over, see my previous post for the solution. In the future, I'm tellin' ya, Google has the answer. Type in your problem, it spits out 8 million websites with solutions.

See?!
Right, and like I said above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
Yes, I know you can turn off the auto reboot, but you know what? Microsoft turns it back on for you, those fu<kers!
I can Google with the best of them, but when those dirty fu<kers at Microsoft reset the settings you change, it's still going to reboot.

For now, I've set it to download the updates, but not automatically install them.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your dick!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #16
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA

Hm, I don't know why it would have changed that setting back for you. Odd.

Yeah, it's okay, I used google, and taped it back on.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 06-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #17
blacklab

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Portland, ME
Liked 48 Times on 27 Posts

A bunch of big companies(mine too) recently decided NOT to deploy Vista enterprise wide because is sucks so much a$$. So we are using a five year old OS in 2008.

I just got an iPhone and I'm shocked at how much better Apple's software/interface is than MSFT's. I haven't had a new Apple in years so have forgotten.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
jfrizzell

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Iowa

Not to turn this into an Apple vs. Microsoft thread, but yeah they do seem to have their sh!t together a bit more. I have a 12" Powerbook G4 at home and I love it.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #19
jfrizzell

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
I just got an iPhone and I'm shocked at how much better Apple's software/interface is than MSFT's. I haven't had a new Apple in years so have forgotten.
BTW, how do you like your iPhone? The managers in my department currently have Motorola Q's and while it's great, it's not perfect. You can't read HTML formatted emails so that's a bit of a pain and web browsing is pretty painful.

We're looking to switch to 3G iPhone's in December when our contract is up. One thing I need to look into though is whether you can tether the iPhone to a laptop (USB or Bluetooth) and use it as a modem. I currently do that with my Q when I've traveling and it's awesome. No wireless at the hotel, no problem, tether the Q. Sh!tty $6.99 wireless at the airport, no problem, tether the Q.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #20
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio
Liked 62 Times on 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
They also tell you that you need to update, then make you wait while you download the update and then restart.

Apple downloads the update for you so you have the least amount of downtime, asks you if you want to install updates, tells you what program they modify, and tells you whether you need to restart. I don't miss windows one bit!
Windows can be configured to do all the same things that you mention here.