F><k you Microsoft and your stupid f><king ideas! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > F><k you Microsoft and your stupid f><king ideas!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
jfrizzell
 
jfrizzell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Iowa
Posts: 686
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts



I'm not druck so this must be mindless mumbling...

Fu<k you Microsoft and your automatic reboot after installing updates! Whoever thought it would be a good idea to just go ahead and reboot your computer without asking you, while you're in the middle of doing sh!t should be shot in the balls. Yes, I know you can turn off the auto reboot, but you know what? Microsoft turns it back on for you, those fu<kers!

Ok, it's not the end of the world, but is pisses me off when I'm in the middle of something and leave my computer for 15 minutes and I come back and it rebooted because of an automatic update. I was in the middle of writing an email, I was copying files to an external hard drive and surfing the web. Now I've lost the email I was writing, I have to start the backup over again because it's too much of a PITA to figure out where it left off and I have to figure out what threads I was reading on HBT.

You dirty fu<kers at Microsoft!

There, I've said it...I feel better now!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Laurel
 
Laurel's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,499
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts


They also tell you that you need to update, then make you wait while you download the update and then restart.

Apple downloads the update for you so you have the least amount of downtime, asks you if you want to install updates, tells you what program they modify, and tells you whether you need to restart. I don't miss windows one bit!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
findthefish
 
findthefish's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Orange, CA
Posts: 473
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
They also tell you that you need to update, then make you wait while you download the update and then restart.

Apple downloads the update for you so you have the least amount of downtime, asks you if you want to install updates, tells you what program they modify, and tells you whether you need to restart. I don't miss windows one bit!
+1!!!

I have a Mac and a PC, it seems like that is all I do now is download updates.
__________________
Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Blender
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2006
Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,106
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts


Whenever I do updates I am always asked if I want to restart now or later. I have never had my computer automatically reboot after an update. I have mine set to notify me of updates but not do the automatic download.

It may be to late now but wasn't the e-mail saved as draft?
__________________
Gary

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 58,365
Liked 7413 Times on 6080 Posts


Dunno why this was here.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 58,365
Liked 7413 Times on 6080 Posts


Someone should send Microsoft a copy of "Humane Interface". An excellently written book with a focus on useless redundancy.

< Submit Reply > < Click! >

"Are you sure you want to reply?"

"Seriously"

"If you REALLY want to reply, click < CANCEL > If you want to continue click, < Yes >"

Next thing you know, Windows will be asking us if we want to reboot in Spanish or English.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
brauhaus
 
brauhaus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Susquehanna Valley, PA
Posts: 1,538
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


this is why i go against Microsoft's recommendations and have the update thinger shut off, plus I've customized Windows Vista to be somewhat efficient and enjoyable.

if everything would run off Linux i'd switch... a few of my co-workers have Mac and I don't recall ever hearing them complain.

I feel your pain, image spending all morning drafting a floor plan for a huge project and then loosing it to a reboot or other Microsoft related issue
__________________
Yes, I'm the guy who set his sniper suit on fire last halloween...

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AnOldUR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
, New Jersey
Posts: 6,886
Liked 844 Times on 609 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
. . .Whoever thought it would be a good idea to just go ahead and reboot your computer without asking you
It did ask you. When you didn't answer (weren't there) it did the installation and reboot. That is the default setting because most people would never do the update and then complain that there computer wasn't working correct.

To change the setting go to the Control Panel, click on Automatic Updates and pick the setting that works best for you.

Windows has its problems, but this isn't one of them.

For me the best setting is to download the update, but let me decide when to install it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
bethlehembrewer
 
bethlehembrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Veneta, OR
Posts: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
I'm not druck so this must be mindless mumbling...

Fu<k you Microsoft and your automatic reboot after installing updates! Whoever thought it would be a good idea to just go ahead and reboot your computer without asking you, while you're in the middle of doing sh!t should be shot in the balls. Yes, I know you can turn off the auto reboot, but you know what? Microsoft turns it back on for you, those fu<kers!

Ok, it's not the end of the world, but is pisses me off when I'm in the middle of something and leave my computer for 15 minutes and I come back and it rebooted because of an automatic update. I was in the middle of writing an email, I was copying files to an external hard drive and surfing the web. Now I've lost the email I was writing, I have to start the backup over again because it's too much of a PITA to figure out where it left off and I have to figure out what threads I was reading on HBT.

You dirty fu<kers at Microsoft!

There, I've said it...I feel better now!
Come on now don't hold back, tell us how you really feel
__________________
Muddy Paws Brewing Co.

Primary: London Mild
Bottled: Holding it over with Fat Tire and Alaskan Amber
Up next: ???

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #10
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts


That's probably one of the reasons why they tell you to close all other programs...so you won't lose anything...
__________________
HB Bill

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stupid auto siphon, stupid keg, stupid hobby..... Ceedubya Bottling/Kegging 13 05-19-2009 05:50 AM
If Microsoft built cars..... Revvy General Chit Chat 9 10-28-2008 08:02 PM
I'm F**king Matt Damon.....I'm F**king Ben Affleck talleymonster Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 20 09-30-2008 03:21 PM
Microsoft Powershell kappclark General Chit Chat 3 07-01-2008 08:58 PM
Do you trust Microsoft. Orfy Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 7 08-03-2007 07:50 PM


Forum Jump