F><k you Microsoft and your stupid f><king ideas! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > F><k you Microsoft and your stupid f><king ideas!

Old 06-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
jfrizzell

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Iowa
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I'm not druck so this must be mindless mumbling...

Fu<k you Microsoft and your automatic reboot after installing updates! Whoever thought it would be a good idea to just go ahead and reboot your computer without asking you, while you're in the middle of doing sh!t should be shot in the balls. Yes, I know you can turn off the auto reboot, but you know what? Microsoft turns it back on for you, those fu<kers!

Ok, it's not the end of the world, but is pisses me off when I'm in the middle of something and leave my computer for 15 minutes and I come back and it rebooted because of an automatic update. I was in the middle of writing an email, I was copying files to an external hard drive and surfing the web. Now I've lost the email I was writing, I have to start the backup over again because it's too much of a PITA to figure out where it left off and I have to figure out what threads I was reading on HBT.

You dirty fu<kers at Microsoft!

There, I've said it...I feel better now!

Old 06-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Laurel

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Seattle, WA
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

They also tell you that you need to update, then make you wait while you download the update and then restart.

Apple downloads the update for you so you have the least amount of downtime, asks you if you want to install updates, tells you what program they modify, and tells you whether you need to restart. I don't miss windows one bit!

Old 06-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
findthefish

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Orange, CA
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
They also tell you that you need to update, then make you wait while you download the update and then restart.

Apple downloads the update for you so you have the least amount of downtime, asks you if you want to install updates, tells you what program they modify, and tells you whether you need to restart. I don't miss windows one bit!
+1!!!

I have a Mac and a PC, it seems like that is all I do now is download updates.

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 06-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Santa Cruz, CA.
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Whenever I do updates I am always asked if I want to restart now or later. I have never had my computer automatically reboot after an update. I have mine set to notify me of updates but not do the automatic download.

It may be to late now but wasn't the e-mail saved as draft?

Old 06-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7413 Times on 6080 Posts

Dunno why this was here.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7413 Times on 6080 Posts

Someone should send Microsoft a copy of "Humane Interface". An excellently written book with a focus on useless redundancy.

< Submit Reply > < Click! >

"Are you sure you want to reply?"

"Seriously"

"If you REALLY want to reply, click < CANCEL > If you want to continue click, < Yes >"

Next thing you know, Windows will be asking us if we want to reboot in Spanish or English.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
brauhaus

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Susquehanna Valley, PA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

this is why i go against Microsoft's recommendations and have the update thinger shut off, plus I've customized Windows Vista to be somewhat efficient and enjoyable.

if everything would run off Linux i'd switch... a few of my co-workers have Mac and I don't recall ever hearing them complain.

I feel your pain, image spending all morning drafting a floor plan for a huge project and then loosing it to a reboot or other Microsoft related issue

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 06-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Mar 2007
, New Jersey
Liked 844 Times on 609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
. . .Whoever thought it would be a good idea to just go ahead and reboot your computer without asking you
It did ask you. When you didn't answer (weren't there) it did the installation and reboot. That is the default setting because most people would never do the update and then complain that there computer wasn't working correct.

To change the setting go to the Control Panel, click on Automatic Updates and pick the setting that works best for you.

Windows has its problems, but this isn't one of them.

For me the best setting is to download the update, but let me decide when to install it.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
bethlehembrewer

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Veneta, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
I'm not druck so this must be mindless mumbling...

Fu<k you Microsoft and your automatic reboot after installing updates! Whoever thought it would be a good idea to just go ahead and reboot your computer without asking you, while you're in the middle of doing sh!t should be shot in the balls. Yes, I know you can turn off the auto reboot, but you know what? Microsoft turns it back on for you, those fu<kers!

Ok, it's not the end of the world, but is pisses me off when I'm in the middle of something and leave my computer for 15 minutes and I come back and it rebooted because of an automatic update. I was in the middle of writing an email, I was copying files to an external hard drive and surfing the web. Now I've lost the email I was writing, I have to start the backup over again because it's too much of a PITA to figure out where it left off and I have to figure out what threads I was reading on HBT.

You dirty fu<kers at Microsoft!

There, I've said it...I feel better now!
Come on now don't hold back, tell us how you really feel

Primary: London Mild
Bottled: Holding it over with Fat Tire and Alaskan Amber
Up next: ???

Old 06-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

That's probably one of the reasons why they tell you to close all other programs...so you won't lose anything...