American embassy warning to Americans in Germany - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > American embassy warning to Americans in Germany

Old 06-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
ArcaneXor

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 117 Times on 104 Posts

This is worth a quick look:

http://germany.usembassy.gov/warden/...24/index2.html

Old 06-25-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

Good PSA.

Crazy Europeans and their silly soccer....

Old 06-25-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 337 Times on 169 Posts

Yep, I've survived World Cup games in Germany by staying at home close to the Bier Kuhlschrank.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
hostileNabusive
Recipes 

Mar 2008
tundra of North Dakota

While I wish America would get into the footy a bit more, I'm thankful I don't have to worry about that rediculousness. Still, watching your team with half a million other fans would be something to remember forever...

That being said ESPN's "technical difficulties" aren't letting me watch the game, and I'm going crazy! Go Turks!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

Lousy soccer hooligans......

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
Beerthoven
Recipes 

May 2007
Cary, NC
Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

I wonder if the German gov't issued a warning to it's citizens to avoid Boston and L.A. during the NBA Finals?

Primary/Secondary: #133 Scottish 80/-
Kegged: #132 American Wheat
Planned: IPA, Brown, Pale Ale

Old 06-25-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts

When my parents went to Costa Rica, the travel agent I was working with to arrange the trip pulled up the security page on Costa Rica and had me read it, we discussed the dangers and risks posed by traveling in that second world country.

I then pulled up a page for foreigners traveling to America. I read what they had to say about the dangers to foreigners in New York and Chicago. Meh.. it pretty much sounded identical to the Costa Rica warnings.

Unless there's a war going on there or some sort of civil unrest, or a reason to think that Americans in particular are going to be targeted, I really don't see a reason to put too much stock into those warnings.

And if you are traveling to those places, it's always a good idea to carry a pin with the Canadian flag on it...

Old 06-25-2008, 09:28 PM   #8
blacklab

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Portland, ME
Liked 48 Times on 27 Posts

One of my college buddies is from Germany. he said there are so many Turkish people in Berlin that they call it 'Turkey's 3rd Largest City'.

There's gonna be a riot no matter who wins!

Stupid floppity flop soccer.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
-Dan-
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Florida
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
he said there are so many Turkish people in Berlin that they call it 'Turkey's 3rd Largest City'.
It's actually called 2nd largest Turkish City ... yeah it's quite "interesting" to say the least. I went to the open match of the last World Cup two years ago in Germany and the World Cup was awesome. Soccer is def religion

Old 06-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
Danek
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Sheffield, UK
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
There's gonna be a riot no matter who wins!

Stupid floppity flop soccer.
Football trouble is like plane crashes. If there's trouble at a football match, it's all over the news, with the result that people who don't generally have any contact with it think it's an everyday occurrence. I've been going to football maches for twenty five years and have never seen a riot - and I don't know of anyone who's ever seen a football riot either. Mind you, over the years, I have seen some bitchin' football riots on TV.

It's the exact equivalent of worrying that if you go to the US, you'll get killed by a nutjob going postal on a killing spree. Yeah, sure - anyone with a TV knows that it happens from time to time, but it's so rare that it's not worth worrying about.

(By the way, we call it football because it involves a kicking a ball with your foot )