RIP George Carlin - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > RIP George Carlin

Old 06-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #21
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2007
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Before going to bed last night, I thought "Let's have a quick look at the news first." Wish I hadn't, I lay awake for hours thinking about George.

He was the best comedian ever, pure and simple. I'm sorry that all the media eulogies are focusing on the "7 dirty words." That was a brilliant routine, but it doesn't define him by any means. There was so much more. He was so amazingly observant about humanity, forever pointing out uncomfortable truths about us, but managing to do it in a hilarious and ultimately uplifting way.

Kind of ironic that he died in a Catholic hospital. The hospital where I was born, actually.

Today the world is a lot less funny than it was yesterday. Goodbye George, and thanks.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:03 PM   #22
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Denver, Colorado
Liked 168 Times on 88 Posts

I moved this into Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling so we can keep it going. The last thing we want to do is sensor George today. I think he would find it quite appropriate.

Here's to George! Let's celebrate his life!

Old 06-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #23

Heard the news as I was driving to work this morning. What a shock. I knew he had serious heart problems, but still figured he'd be around for ahwile longer. In fact, my fiancee & I were thinking of getting tickets to see him when he came to town in October.

My father was the person who first got me interested in George. He happened to be on the Carson show one night and Dad made a point of getting me into the room to see him on TV. In the early 1970s, there was nobody funnier.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #24
Brewmando
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Fort Madison, IA (SE)
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The fridge routine is among my favorites. Godspeed GC

Old 06-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #25
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4852 Times on 3270 Posts

Never been a big fan. He had some pretty clever stuff, but I never saw him as a "laugh Out Loud" kind of guy. A lot of his stuff I thought was a ripoff of Lenny Bruce. Not the material, but the style. But, he was a true American Icon.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #26
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

I don't think he got meaner as time went along as previously mentioned...I think he was really POd at the ignorant sheeple...

I remember back in 1980 he was being interviewed...one of the questions dealt with the rivalry between him and Richard Pryor...GC said yeah, some people believed there was a rivalty, but it really didn't exist...he said Richard had a heart attack then I had a heart attack...Richard set himself on fire, GC said fvckk that I'm having another heart attack...!! Great!

Old 06-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #27
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

I'm old enough to remember him on Carson. I have is first album (yes...vinyl album).

An icon to be sure.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:00 PM   #28
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1695 Times on 1089 Posts

He actually did peak about 10 or so years ago IMHO and it's just been way too cynical since then. I love what he was about though, pushing some serious boundaries and mocking just about everything that deserves it. I've seen the shows about a dozen times and felt like he was rushing a lot of his newer material and it felt way too scripted. I won't call him the best comic, but he's certainly had one of the best comedy career going. We're a man down in the good guy population for sure.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #29
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Chandler, Arizona
Liked 90 Times on 84 Posts

A toast to George is in order tonight, his genius will be missed.

I feel like my dad died.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #30
bethlehembrewer

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Veneta, OR

Do you think they gave him the blankets from a plane and used the beer fart seat cushion as the pillow?

Maybe his ambulance had a near miss on the way to the hospital!

Primary: London Mild
Bottled: Holding it over with Fat Tire and Alaskan Amber
Up next: ???