Yeast for cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajf

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been brewing beers for several years, but have never before brewed a cider.

I am thinking of starting with some apple juice from the supermarket, adding yeast, fermenting, priming, and bottling. The juice has a gravity of 1.048, which should give between 6 and 7% ABV if it ferments down to 1.000. This seems to be about what I want.

My questions are:
1. Do I have to use a cider or champaign yeast (neither of which I have) or can I make do with an ale yeast? (which I do have).
2. If I use an ale yeast, will it ferment down to approximately 1.000, or will it stop at a higher gravity?
3. Do I need to add yeast nutrients?
4. Is there anything else I should be aware of (I know the importance of cleanliness and sanitation from my beer brewing), and I don't expect the cider to last very long once it is conditioned, as SWMBO is very partial to a drop of cider.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

-a.

1. No, neutral ale yeasts work fine. If you have something that will add a floral note, that's also good.
2. It will probably hit 0.995 or less, as cider has no unfermentables
3. Yes, if you can get fresh unfiltered no. Tough to do this time of year.
4. As long as you don't try to boost the ABV with sugar, the cider should be ready to go in a month. It will get better as it ages.
Make certain there are no preservatives. Some asorbic acid (Vit. C) is ok.

Thanks David. Looks like I'm ready to go for a small batch this weekend.
I'll start with the yeasts I have on hand, but try a cider and champaign yeast next time I have to place a yeast order.
If the FG drops below 1, I won't be adding any sugar, but it won't have a chance to age much unless I hide it. I'll start with one gallon batches each week until I get something she likes, then switch to 5 gallons (then it will have a chance to age a bit).
I can't see much chance of getting fresh North American juice at this time of year, but I'll look out for South American products, and try to stay clear of those with preservatives.

Thanks again.

-a.

I've also made fairly good cider from concentrate, including some really weird tropical fruit mixes.

Back