While the grains were draining off, I warmed up 3# of the 6# total LME in the kit. I decided to deviate just a bit from the instructions and do a late addition of half the LME.
I brought the pot out to my turkey fryer burner and brought it to a boil. Took it off the boil and added the 3# of LME. Brought it back to a hard boil, added the bittering hops and started my 60 minute timer. The minute I added the hops everything smelled amazing! Put a smile right on my face
At 15 minutes left I added the rest of the LME and the flavor hops.
The silicone glove is awesome for this, since I don't have to worry about steam burns!
At 5 minutes I added the aroma hops, then at 0 went into a tub with ice water (the pot, not me). I kept adding fresh cold water from the hose and went from 212F to 90F in 16 minutes.
I brought the wort inside and put 2 gallons of spring water at 36F in the carboy. Added the wort, learning that the screen in the funnel is a Bad Idea. I ended up pulling the screen out and putting a fine mesh sieve in the funnel. That gave me a lot more filtering surface area and didn't clog as easily.
I took a hydrometer reading which was much too high. Added another gallon of spring water and nailed the 1.054 target OG. Temp was right at 59F.
Shook the daylights out of it in preparation for pitching.
Opened the starter and was immediately assaulted with the strongest yeast smell I've ever encountered. Wow! Guess I did something right with it.
Pitched the yeast, swirled it all together and put it in my fermentation chamber at 60F. Once I start to see signs of fermentation I'm going to start dropping to 55F.
So my first mini-mash was pretty easy. I was astounded by the sheer volume of grain, my only other beer so far being a True Brew kit. I really liked the smells of the steeping grains. I'm hoping that translates well into the final beer!