Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Lager yeast...can I make a steam w/it?

Old 06-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
karbinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Lager yeast...can I make a steam w/it?

I bought a WLgerman lager, and WLpilsner lager vials about a month back, and
have some questions before I do something with them.

Right now, I'm not quite set up to take the lagering temps into the 50's, but I can hold them around 65-70. I'm wondering if I can get a decent batch of beer from doing this with the 2 above mentioned yeasts? Maybe a steam type ?

secondly, I've been washing my yeast to perpetuate generations. IF I steam beer with these lager yeasts, will It harm the yeast in a way that I should worry about washing them for a later "real" lagering, or even re-use for that matter.

ANy thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Karb

Old 06-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbinator View Post
I bought a WLgerman lager, and WLpilsner lager vials about a month back, and
have some questions before I do something with them.

Right now, I'm not quite set up to take the lagering temps into the 50's, but I can hold them around 65-70. I'm wondering if I can get a decent batch of beer from doing this with the 2 above mentioned yeasts? Maybe a steam type ?

secondly, I've been washing my yeast to perpetuate generations. IF I steam beer with these lager yeasts, will It harm the yeast in a way that I should worry about washing them for a later "real" lagering, or even re-use for that matter.

Karb
Ive never used the Pilsner yeast you mention but the German Lager yeast will work to make a steam beer and I dont see any reason the pilsner cant.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 06-23-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
toastermm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbinator View Post

Karb
My first useful post:

Yeast will not dramatically change their genetic structure to the point of requiring different temperatures to survive. If it metabolizes at say, 50-80 degrees F, it will continue doing so 99% of the time.

I work in a yeast-genetics lab and we rarely see temperature mutants that are stable. (They always want to be at their 'preferred' temperature).

But on the other hand, you can 'stretch' their temperature limits. You can slowly increase their temperature tolerances by changing the temperature slowly. (about a degree every two days)

It would be really cool to see how hot you can brew a lager beer.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastermm View Post
My first useful post:

Yeast will not dramatically change their genetic structure to the point of requiring different temperatures to survive. If it metabolizes at say, 50-80 degrees F, it will continue doing so 99% of the time.

I work in a yeast-genetics lab and we rarely see temperature mutants that are stable. (They always want to be at their 'preferred' temperature).

But on the other hand, you can 'stretch' their temperature limits. You can slowly increase their temperature tolerances by changing the temperature slowly. (about a degree every two days)

It would be really cool to see how hot you can brew a lager beer.
Welcome to HBT toastermm!