Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > purpose of a false bottom

Old 06-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
panic rev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default purpose of a false bottom

What is the purpose of a false bottom on a brew pot Also if I buy a 7.5 gallon pot do I need a spigot at the bottom?I have been all over the internet looking for these answers so thanks for your help...

Old 06-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Welcome to the forum.
With a false bottom in the kettle, you could use the kettle as a mash-lauter tun for all grain brewing. You could also use it (as I do) for straining the hops on the way to the fermenter.
As I'm sure you realize is useless without a spigot.
The spigot is useful for draining hot wort from the kettle, where the heat of the wort could damage a plastic siphon. If you cool wort in the kettle, you can use a plastic siphon. About the only time you want to drain hot wort from the kettle, is when you are using a counterflow wort chiller, and if you do have a counterflow chiller and no spigot, you can use a metal siphon tube.

Hope this helps.

-a.