Legal questions, employment related.... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Legal questions, employment related....

Old 06-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Demon

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Willowbrook, IL
Liked 113 Times on 72 Posts

Today I got an email from our CFO at work. It said that two deposits from 5/15 and 5/17 were never deposited in the bank and I am being held responsible for the funds. He had a form attached for me to sign and return stating he can take the funds from my pay, which I did not sign. Here are my questions.... Can they legally take the funds if I do not sign the authorization form? If they still withhold funds without the authorization to I have an recourse to get the money? And, no, I did not take the money.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 808 Times on 512 Posts

As your employer, he can probably withhold pay for a variety of reasons with or without your consent. I think you need to address the root cause, first. Do you have any record of the transactions or any way to prove that the funds are not lost as a result of your actions?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts

Unless a statute says otherwise (and I doubt it does), he cannot withhold past earnings without your consent. It's a breach of contract. He can however fire you for not agreeing to it, lower your pay to make the money back, or press charges with the police.

I agree with Yuri though that you need to get to the root cause of this. How much money are we talking about here anyway?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
Demon

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Willowbrook, IL

$1041

I have told him I refuse to sign anything and want to see bank deposit records and cashout logs. I had actually put in my 2 weeks notice a few hours prior to this happening, however I am told that he did not know this yet (which I doubt).

Old 06-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Soulive

Recipes 

Mar 2007
The Middle of NJ
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

Man that sucks. Best of luck Demon...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 06-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 808 Times on 512 Posts

If the situation is unrecoverable, walk off the job and tell him he can keep the money you'd have earned for the remainder of the two weeks.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 528 Times on 424 Posts

I certainly wouldn't use that as my first course of action, though. Sounds like you're basically being accused of theft; last thing you need is to get arrested, or just as bad your new employer to hear of this. Find out WTF happened!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 06-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
Demon

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Willowbrook, IL

I have accounted for one of the missing deposits. I found a computer error with the cashout. So one down, one to go.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Madison WI
Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Yeah--- good thing that you're quitting. That kind of irresponsible response from that boss indicates that they are prone to over-reaction to issues.

And as for cash withholding--- that widely varies state to state. In some states they can't touch your paycheck without your express consent or a legal judgment.

Don't sign anything, even at separation, that you aren't absolutely sure you are required by law to sign. Keep helping them find their mistake. Ride out your time if you can do so without risk.

Consult a lawyer. Most of the time a lawyer will do an initial consult for free. Call the local BAR for a referral to one that specializes in labor law-- specifically protecting workers from companies.

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:17 PM   #10
Demon

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Willowbrook, IL

Found a way out of the second one.... Our company policy states that the person opening the store is responsible for making the previous days deposit, which is prepared and put in an envelope by whomever closes the previous evening. I just checked the cash/deposit log and found that the person who closed that night entered the full count as $200 and the after deposit count as $200. That right there shows that a deposit was never prepared. I can't be expected to deposit something that isn't there.