Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Anheuser Busch might be selling out.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #21
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Quote:
For me, the element of progress, innovation and pushing the envelope is missing.
To me, the sign of a great company is wrapped around its return on investment; progress, innovation, and pushing the envelope are only useful as part of the overall goal of maximizing ROI. I've never looked at AB with an intent to invest, so don't really know their performance in any detail at all -- but that's pretty much beside my earlier point anyway; my original response to your post had to do with what I quoted previously, which I took to be your determination that they aren't a great company because you don't like their product. As to your follow-up, we're on the same side of the fence (with the caveat that I would change "qualify" to "deserve" as a cultural icon).

Rick

Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #22
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thought I'd add my 2 cents.

First to the point that certain folks made that things won't change. I believe that things will change, drastically. There will be layoffs big time at A-B. InBev has made layoffs a big part of their takeover modis oerandi previously, why would that change at A-B?

As to why A.A.Busch IV rejected the $65 / share bid he's hoping for $70 or $75. Regardless the stock holders will have a say but I do expect InBev to increase the offer.

As to the reason for the takeover from what I've read, the main reason aside from the weak $ is InBev wants A-B's distribution network.

As to whether it should be done or not. A few years ago americans were buying compaines overseas. If we truely what capital to flow freely we can't restrict the inflow of capital unless we want our ablitiy to invest overseas also restricted.

If congress wants to do something constructive (which I seriouly doubt) rather than demagogue the issue, they could make distribution easier to create more competion. Or at least make the playing field more level for smaller brewers.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #23
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
As to why A.A.Busch IV rejected the $65 / share bid he's hoping for $70 or $75. Regardless the stock holders will have a say but I do expect InBev to increase the offer.
Most people thought this, too, until InBev filed a lawsuit against A-B upon the refusal of the offer, basically trying to allow stockholders to dismiss the board. Those are serious fighting words.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #24
TheH2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was hoping the purchase would go through. I would love inBev to have the A-B distribution network.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #25
RodfatherX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not sure if it will do any good but here it is.

Online petition to save A-B

Old 07-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #26
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
Most people thought this, too, until InBev filed a lawsuit against A-B upon the refusal of the offer, basically trying to allow stockholders to dismiss the board. Those are serious fighting words.
Filing a lawsuit doesn't preclude InBev from upping the offer. Althought it might be cheaper if they could get the courts to side with them. However any court decision will take years if not decades especially if it's appealed, which I sure it would be. So I don't really see a court challenge as a viable remedy if they truely want to do the deal.

Time will tell.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #27
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Filing a lawsuit doesn't preclude InBev from upping the offer. Althought it might be cheaper if they could get the courts to side with them. However any court decision will take years if not decades especially if it's appealed, which I sure it would be. So I don't really see a court challenge as a viable remedy if they truely want to do the deal.

Time will tell.
I'm not a lawyer, and I don't pretend to be, but the article I read about it said that this indicated they had no intention of upping their offer because it's playing hardball and by doing it, they're going to make the A-B board really mad and unlikely to accept any offer.

The lawsuit wouldn't dismiss the board, as I understand it, merely empower the stockholders to do so. I imagine a case like that would actually move fairly quickly, the slow part will be if the stockholders actually decide to do that and what options the board then has.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:46 PM   #28
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Looks like you nailed it, abracadabra:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080711/...4609rOJ6.s0NUE

Quote:
After weeks of mounting tensions, The Wall Street Journal reported on its website on Friday that InBev, maker of Stella Artois and Beck's beer, had raised its bid to $70 a share from $65 in an effort to seal a friendly deal.

Anheuser's board is likely to accept the sweetened offer this weekend, the paper said, citing a person familiar with the matter.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #29
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew View Post
Looks like you nailed it, abracadabra:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080711/...4609rOJ6.s0NUE
Thanks! I had just read that article myself.

Now if I had only taken my own advise and bought some of the stock.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #30
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Now if I had only taken my own advise and bought some of the stock.
Heh. That idea didn't even occur to me.