bottle sanitation in oven?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkbob

Reaction score
i read somewhere that one can sanitize bottles by placing them in an oven at a certain temperature for a certain amount of time. but of course i cant find that info anymore. anyone know how long, and how hot? i am wondering whether this is a viable alternative to soaking and rinsing and rinsing and rinsing. i only have at this time some "soda" supplied by my HBS, and last time it seemed to leave a hefty residue that couldnt be good for beer. also, i dont know if i trust my tap water as a safe rinsing solution. i would be so happy to find out that my plastic bottle carrying case was not going to melt, if i put the whole thing in my oven, but i really dont think that is the case.

thanks

I wash and rinse mine really well. Then just prior to useing them I run them through a cycle in the dishwasher on heated dry. and NO SOAP.

I did this with a few of the bottles last time around. It seemed to work fine.. I haven't had an off tasting bottle yet and I'm pretty sure I've drank from at least a few of the bottles that I sanitized/sterilized with heat.

My biggest concern while doing it was that I'd shatter the glass by heating the oven too fast. Ours is digital and I can raise the temp 5 degrees at a time so I raised it very slowly. While it was a clean, no mess affair I will say that it was time consuming, heated up the kitchen real good, and probably wasn't all that great for my electric bill. I'd like to just stick the things in the oven for 1 hr at 340 deg and be done with it... no 5 deg per minute bs.. If someone is willing to risk shattering a bottle or two in their oven to find out how safe this is then I'd love hear the results. Unfortunately, I can't do it as it is my gf's *new* oven and she'd kill me if I shattered a bottle in it.

Back