Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need some Ideas, Roeselare blend

Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 AM   #1
Ryanh1801
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default Need some Ideas, Roeselare blend

Ok, I have a huge starter of this going for a few weeks now and plan on building it up even more for a few more weeks. Im planing a red, Brown and a saison(pitch in the secondary). Im wanting to do one more brew with it, any ideas. The crazy the beer the more I am willing to brew it. So throw me your craziest ideas.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I've got my own pack of the Roeselare blend waiting to get used, this will be my first time making something with other than saccharomyces. I could be wrong, but in my past research most of the time people have recommended not making a starter and just pitching directly. Mostly because you can't control the growth of everything, so you might get something overwhelming everything else.

That being said I'll probably try to save some of the bugs and use them in something else in a year or so. I'm planning on making 10g of Flanders Red and using the Roeselare blend in 5g and the WLP belgian sour mix in the other.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts

crazy huh? you might be interested in this link: http://byo.com/feature/1294.html

I'm half tempted to try making the Mountain Brew one as a mead.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 06-19-2008, 04:05 AM   #4
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
I've got my own pack of the Roeselare blend waiting to get used, this will be my first time making something with other than saccharomyces. I could be wrong, but in my past research most of the time people have recommended not making a starter and just pitching directly. Mostly because you can't control the growth of everything, so you might get something overwhelming everything else.

That being said I'll probably try to save some of the bugs and use them in something else in a year or so. I'm planning on making 10g of Flanders Red and using the Roeselare blend in 5g and the WLP belgian sour mix in the other.
Thats the main reason I made the starter way ahead of the time Im brewing the beer. Good luck on your stuff. Sour stuff is a blast and once you go sour your don't go back.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:09 AM   #5
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Are you planning on making something with just Roeselare? (i.e., no other primary yeast). I'd do that if you aren't planning already.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:10 AM   #6
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
Are you planning on making something with just Roeselare? (i.e., no other primary yeast). I'd do that if you aren't planning already.
Yeah both the Red and the brown will be with only the Roeselare. I thinking for the forth brew, something just in the secondary, but open to anything.