Gingered Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
3rd generation Safale-56
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
9 IBU
Color
7 HCU (~6 SRM)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 @ room temp in basement
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 @ room temp in basement
Bill Elwell
[email protected]
7018 - Gingered Ale
Style: American Pale Ale
DME Extract
5.25 gallons
Color: 7 HCU (~6 SRM)
Bitterness: 9 IBU
OG: 1.046 (estimated) 1.049 (actual)
FG: 1.012 (estimated) 1.010 (actual)
Alcohol: 4.4% v/v (3.5% w/w) (ACTUAL: 4.095% ABW / 5.119%ABV)

Water Treatment: Same procedure as always - 4 gals of PUR filtered tap water in the freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing.

Boil: 60 minutes
1.5 gallons
SG 1.162

5 lb. Extra Light DME
8 oz. Wheat DME
1.4 oz grated Ginger (I forgot the Irish Moss)

Hops:

.5 oz. Cascade (5.8% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (5.8% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (5.8% AA, 15 min.)

Yeast: 3rd generation Safale-56, dated 3/07.

Log: Late Addition Method

BREW DATE: 25 May 07

Warm 1.5 gals of water.

Add and dissolve 1 lb XLDME and .5 oz of hops.

Boil 30 mins.

Add another .5 oz hops

Boil 15 mins. Remove from heat.

Add and dissolve .5 lb (8 oz) Wheat DME, 4 lbs XLDME, 1.4 oz Ginger, and .5 oz hops.

Let steep for 15 mins.

Sparge hops and ginger on way to primary.

Top off to 5.25 gals.

TEMP: 65F
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.010

Sample tastes spicy, hoppy. Some ginger flavor comes through. Pitch yeast.

2 Jun 07: Temp: 55 / Gravity: 1.011 – 1 = 1.010. Racked to secondary. Nice ginger flavor comes through. Light color and good body. Washed yeast.

Carbonation: 4 Jun 07: Same notes as above. Kegged. No priming solution. Gassed up to 20 psi to check for leaks.

Tasting:

30 Oct 07: This brew is still cloudy, but getting there. The ginger flavor comes through nicely. Definitely ginger. Some bite still comes through, but it is quite drinkable. Gassed up again to about 10 psi.

10 Mar 08: Gassed up to maintain pressure in keg.

11 Mar 08: Sampled a glass. This brew is very smooth, light ginger flavored and well balanced. Not harsh in any way. Very pleasant. All the ginger bite is gone. This is ready to share with others. I like it.

Jun 08: This keg has been on 10 psi gas for a couple of weeks now. As soon as I have an empty keg in the kegerator this one’s going in.

It lost all of the bite from the ginger? Did it maintain any of the ginger flavor?

I did a Gingered Ale a few years ago, only I had 7lbs. of XLDME and 3.5 oz. of ginger, because I had wanted a higher ABV brew with a stronger ginger bite on the top of it. (I wish I had done a late addition method, but alas). What I have since decided, should I repeat, is that I would reduce the ginger in the boil but add it to my secondary fermentation, as I think that would give it the stronger bite and aroma I had been looking for and didnt really capture...

If the brewing container is sealed off, the carbon dioxide ends up dissolving in the liquid giving the drink its fizz as well as halting the fermentation process early leaving much of the sugar intact and resulting in a very low alcohol content. In the 19th century processes for dissolving carbon dioxide in water to make an artificial version of naturally carbonated mineral water allowed manufacturers to make soda dinks, like root beer and ginger ale, without using the fermentation process.

Latest posts

Back