Damn kids on the ice! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Damn kids on the ice!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
beta pleated sheet

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Amherst, MA
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I am sick and tired of summer camps sending busloads of kids to the ice skating rink every day from June til August. It's not so much that I think they shouldn't be there (hey, it's great fun for the kids) but that I just don't like it when they're there. Something about the way a large pack of eight and unders behaves just saps out the fun for me. There are a few things I have observed.

One: Many, many kids do not know how to skate. Not in that they're beginners, because they're nothing wrong with that, but in that they often think they're much better than they are, they try to show off, and they have no concept of rink etiquette. It's not too bad if it's just one or two kids (or dumbass adult, at least they don't come by the busload), I don't expect them to all be able to fully understand why you let people pass and why everyone is supposed to go in the same direction.

Two: There are rarely less than two buses of children. I really want to know who thought it was a good idea to put that many small children in the same place so that they could engage in an activity that could potentially hurt themselves and others, especially since many of these groups seem under chaperoned.

Three: Me-specific, but one reason why I hate large groups on the ice is because I have no depth perception. I can see you, but I can't tell exactly how close you are to me. This is bad for maneuvering around tightly packed groups, very bad for large groups of waist-high children, very very bad because I know that I could hurt them by running into/over them.

Four: While I do try to act like a good person, I'm sorry a big part of me thinks that if you're skating like a dumbass you kind of deserve to get ploughed into by somebody. I'm no good at skating, and there have been a good many times when I've made myself fall because I didn't think I could stop or turn away fast enough. Why should I have to sacrifice myself when a kid gets a lot less hurt (if at all) from taking a spill? Oh yeah, because it makes you look like a cold hearted bully if anything happens to a kid when it's totally their fault for acting like a damn fool. Ok, admittedly I have gently pushed kids out of the way before, but I don't even think they fell. Should have, though.

Yeah, I can't wait until the little pukes go back to school.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1765 Times on 1122 Posts

This has got to be one of the most bizzare rant topics I've seen around here.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
RICLARK

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Grand Ledge, Mich
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Wtf?? Are you joking?

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 06-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Cape Coral Florida
Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts

Someone needs a time-out

Old 06-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
srm775
Recipes 

Aug 2007
IL
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta pleated sheet View Post

Three: Me-specific, but one reason why I hate large groups on the ice is because I have no depth perception. I can see you, but I can't tell exactly how close you are to me. This is bad for maneuvering around tightly packed groups, very bad for large groups of waist-high children, very very bad because I know that I could hurt them by running into/over them.

Four: While I do try to act like a good person, I'm sorry a big part of me thinks that if you're skating like a dumbass you kind of deserve to get ploughed into by somebody. I'm no good at skating, and there have been a good many times when I've made myself fall because I didn't think I could stop or turn away fast enough. Why should I have to sacrifice myself when a kid gets a lot less hurt (if at all) from taking a spill? Oh yeah, because it makes you look like a cold hearted bully if anything happens to a kid when it's totally their fault for acting like a damn fool. Ok, admittedly I have gently pushed kids out of the way before, but I don't even think they fell. Should have, though.
So, half of the reason you're mad at them is because of your own short-comings due to poor skating abilities and poor depth perception? Hmmm

Old 06-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts

That's awesome...I can see BPS sitting on his porch in a rocking chair with a musket on his lap, recalling the good ol' days when a man with no depth perception could skate on the ice with none of them bastard kids in his way...though, it still wasn't easy, because you had to walk uphill both ways to get to and from the rink.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

Wait, you're ranting about a bunch of six year olds? Huh?

I didn't realize there were any female curmudgeons in their early 20s. One of my life goals is to become a curmudgeon, but I was planning on waiting until I'm at least in my fifties.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 06-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #8
srm775
Recipes 

Aug 2007
IL
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
That's awesome...I can see BPS sitting on his porch in a rocking chair with a musket on HER lap, recalling the good ol' days when a woman with no depth perception could skate on the ice with none of them bastard kids in HER way...though, it still wasn't easy, because you had to walk uphill both ways to get to and from the rink.
clarification

Old 06-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm775 View Post
clarification
hm, I didn't realize BPS was a lady...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
srm775
Recipes 

Aug 2007
IL
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
hm, I didn't realize BPS was a lady...
the lack of depth perception wasn't a pretty big clue