Fermentation Stuck & Racking to Secondary - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Fermentation Stuck & Racking to Secondary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
OrangeCatBrewery
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Frederick, MD
Posts: 62


Brewed a Dry Irish Stout on 6/9 & pitched yeast (wyeast irish ale). Next day fermentation was rocketing along. By 6/12 it had slowed/stalled. Took an SG reading on 6/16 & 6/17 - 1.017. I roused the yeast on 6/17 and today the SG is 1.016 @ 66*. {I would assume that you should still add +1 to the reading since it is above 60*}

In my estimation fermentation has stalled. I feel that the next option is to rack to a secondary and hope that the yeast will lower the SG to closer to 1.011.

Here is my question. My LHBS is closed today and I do not have a secondary. I was going to use my bottling bucket as a secondary. But I dont have a lid. Can I put plastic wrap (saran wrap) over the top and use tape or tied down cords around the side of the bucket to make it a tighter seal. Is this a feasable option? Should I wait until tomorrow and but a lid or a secondary? (they open at Noon)

Any idea or suggestion is welcome and encouraged!!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
xamers
 
xamers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Omaha to Japan
Posts: 165
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCatBrewery View Post
Brewed a Dry Irish Stout on 6/9 & pitched yeast (wyeast irish ale). Next day fermentation was rocketing along. By 6/12 it had slowed/stalled. Took an SG reading on 6/16 & 6/17 - 1.017. I roused the yeast on 6/17 and today the SG is 1.016 @ 66*. {I would assume that you should still add +1 to the reading since it is above 60*}

In my estimation fermentation has stalled. I feel that the next option is to rack to a secondary and hope that the yeast will lower the SG to closer to 1.011.

Here is my question. My LHBS is closed today and I do not have a secondary. I was going to use my bottling bucket as a secondary. But I dont have a lid. Can I put plastic wrap (saran wrap) over the top and use tape or tied down cords around the side of the bucket to make it a tighter seal. Is this a feasable option? Should I wait until tomorrow and but a lid or a secondary? (they open at Noon)

Any idea or suggestion is welcome and encouraged!!!!
What's the rush?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
findthefish
 
findthefish's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Orange, CA
Posts: 473
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


You are fine so far, just leave it in primary a couple weeks.
__________________
Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TheJadedDog's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
People's Republic of Cambridge
Posts: 3,316
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts


If you think it's stuck the LAST thing you want to do is rack it. You leave yeast behind when you rack which will make it less likely for additional fermentation to occur. If you want to rouse the yeast try giving the fermenter a gentle swirl. If that doesn't work you might consider repitching some dry yeast.

What was your OG? It's hard to tell if you have a stuck fermentation without knowing the OG. Most of my stouts finish around 1.014 so you may not be that far off (1.011 seems low to me for an extract stout). Remember that extract has a lot of unfermentable sugar in it compared to AG.

To answer your actual question about using saran wrap, I would say no, you are opening your beer up to infection. There is no reason you can't leave it in the primary an extra day, even if it's totally ready to be racked.
__________________
And now we go AG!

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
OrangeCatBrewery
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Frederick, MD
Posts: 62

Not trying to rush....It just seems like fermentation has stopped IMHO. Usually my fermintations take 14 days, regardless of yeast type. And if this one stops fermenting I will have a 3.0% stout on my hand.

But your input is definately appreciated. I will let it sit awhile longer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
OrangeCatBrewery
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Frederick, MD
Posts: 62

JadedDog........OG was 1.038 and I dont know the exact temp but it was low 80's so I estimate it at 1.041.

6/9-1.041......6/12-1.019.....6/16-1.017.....6/17-1.017.....6/18-1.016/7 (66*).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
OrangeCatBrewery
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Frederick, MD
Posts: 62

Yikes one other note. I sparged 1lb of Roasted Barley.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
Beerthoven
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Cary, NC
Posts: 2,176
Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts


+1 to what JadedDog says. Leave it be for now. Its only been in the primary for 9 days, which isn't that long. It could drop a few points still.

I typically leave my beers in the primary for 3 weeks before bottling or racking. I take a gravity reading after about 7 days and again after the 3 weeks is up. After 7 days the beer is usually close to the FG, but the SG continues to drop by 2 or 3 points between the first and second reading.
__________________

Primary/Secondary: #133 Scottish 80/-
Kegged: #132 American Wheat
Planned: IPA, Brown, Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
fishops
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Posts: 98

If you roused the yeast on 6/17 and it dropped another point already, how is it stuck? Leave it for another week at least. If you're worried about autolysis or oxidation, RDWAHAHB. You have at least another two weeks in the bucket before that starts to be a concern.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Racking to a secondary slow or stop fermentation jg12333 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 03-07-2009 02:10 PM
Slow fermentation; Signs for racking to secondary? mannish Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 11-21-2008 05:49 PM
Racking to the secondary to slow down / stop fermentation? Desert Monkey General Techniques 10 06-02-2008 09:55 PM
stuck fermentation in the secondary? z987k Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 03-01-2007 02:33 PM
Racking to secondary before fermentation is complete MattD Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 09-27-2006 03:00 PM


Forum Jump