Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Orange Honey Hefeweizen

Old 07-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #21
Chosenwon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just brewed a slight variation of this on Saturday, added a pound of Crystal 10 and some rice hulls to help with the mash. I also wanted more of an orange flavor and used the zest of 5 oranges stuffed into a cup of vodka- I will post how it turns out. Thanks for the inspiration!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #22
chuckger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I brewed this beer last week, but I could not find Orange Blossom Honey anywhere except on the internet and I did not want to wait for delivery so i used plain pure honey and uped the Marmalaide to 1/2 cup at 15 minutes. I am going to bottle it tonight the thing is already down to 1.008! I could not believe that yeast (WLP300) took off like it did! Anyway i will post results later. Thanks for the awesome recipe DubbelDach!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #23
Blindguardian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Where do you find the organic sweet oranges? Would you consider Valencia oranges sweet oranges for the zest?

I would really love to make this recipe but I seem to not be able to find the organic sweet oranges.

thanks

Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 AM   #24
Shwagger
Recipes 

Whole Foods is all organic. Honey too

Shwagger Brewery
Gulfport, Fl

Old 07-14-2009, 02:26 AM   #25
RandalG
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

^ +1. That's where I got mine. I used three Valencia Oranges from Whole Foods.They were as big as grapefruit.

Last edited by RandalG; 07-14-2009 at 02:56 AM.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #26
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thank you for the great reviews, everyone! This continues to be among my favorite recipes. My keg lasted just under 2 weeks this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EonBlue66 View Post
I am getting ready to bottle a batch of OHH & forgot to zest some oranges & I was thinking of using a couple shots of Smirnoffs Orange twist vodka this should work right?

Thanks
Sorry... late to the party. Did this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwagger View Post
My next batch will be a summer wheat, but I dont do AG as it's out of my league. What can I do to make this using partial?
Blasphemy! Looking back, I wish I never messed with extract brewing. AG adds maybe 45 minutes to my brew day and my batches have improved 1000%. Try to go observe someone else doing it and you'll see... easy. I believe that the first time I made the OHH was a partial mash recipe... Will look for my notes in the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindguardian View Post
Where do you find the organic sweet oranges? Would you consider Valencia oranges sweet oranges for the zest?

I would really love to make this recipe but I seem to not be able to find the organic sweet oranges.

thanks
Not sure exactly the type I used... I went to Giant Food Stores and got the only thing there marked "organic oranges". Since they weren't Seville, I assume they're sweet. Get what you can, I wouldn't hold back just because it's not a perfect match. Report how the differences work out! RDWHAHB, holmes!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #27
Chosenwon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow, turned out good. 4 gallons consumed at a small get together and the other gallon by 2 or 3 in the afternoon by my parents! Home made jockey box worked well, force carbonation was good while the temp was less than 40 degrees, but as it warmed I had to give it a few more doses of the co2. Great stuff. This stuff went from kettle to keg in 7 days and tasted great-I was inspired by Yuri in his fresh beer write up!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:17 AM   #28
Blindguardian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A question or so,

1. how many .oz of orange peel/zest would you say to use? I know it was said the zest of 2 sweet oranges but I would like to know the .oz amount.

2. what would you say about using orange flavored vodka (the type that is already flavored)?

3. I was thinking about using sweet orange peel and soaking it in the vodka, would this impart the same flavor to the vodka?

thanks

Old 07-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #29
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
1. how many .oz of orange peel/zest would you say to use? I know it was said the zest of 2 sweet oranges but I would like to know the .oz amount.
Never measured it... Just used two of them. They were medium to large sized. RDWHAHB.

Quote:
2. what would you say about using orange flavored vodka (the type that is already flavored)?
I would say that I'd love to know how it turns out! First time I made this, I was tempted to use Triple Sec instead of priming sugar... Mosher mentions doing that in Radical Brewing... When it came time to bottle, it tasted orangey enough with the 2 peels, OB honey, and marmalade, so I just used priming sugar.

Quote:
3. I was thinking about using sweet orange peel and soaking it in the vodka, would this impart the same flavor to the vodka?
I steeped my peels in vodka for 2 weeks. Works fine... I used enough to cover the peels and let them steep in a tupperware. At bottling time, I picked out the peels, dumped the orange vodka in the bottling bucket with priming sugar, and racked on top.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #30
RandalG
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
I would say that I'd love to know how it turns out! First time I made this, I was tempted to use Triple Sec instead of priming sugar... Mosher mentions doing that in Radical Brewing... When it came time to bottle, it tasted orangey enough with the 2 peels, OB honey, and marmalade, so I just used priming sugar.
Hey DD,
I didn't see any mention of marmalade on the first page unless I missed it.How much did you use,was it just something you got at the grocery store,and when was it added.

Quote:
Just to clarify you just want to use the outer orange layer only of the orange not the white part which is bitter.

Last edited by RandalG; 07-29-2009 at 03:08 PM.