Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Wheat and Rye Beer > All-Grain - Orange Honey Hefeweizen

Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #91
sinisterkid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Kegged this last week. It taste great, even my brother in law likes it he only drinks miller lite. I plan on another batch here real soon
Thanks for a great recipe. I plan on doing a couple more from your site.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #92
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just brewed a hybrid of this on Father's Day with my father-in-law - although I added another pound of OB honey at flameout and .25lb of honey malt in the mix with a little carapils.

Just for kicks (and because I've never done it before), I'm going to rack onto about 2-3lbs of pasteurized raspberries in a couple weeks. Raspberry Honey Wheat here we come!

GrassLands Brewery

Old 06-29-2011, 03:39 AM   #93
arkowa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ekk - after 50+ batches, thinking I've mastered most process steps, this recipe gave me a bit of humble pie. Added honey at flameout, chilled the beer, poured into fermenter through a paint strainer... pitched yeast, and put the lid on. When cleaning out the paint strainer I noticed a thick viscous liquid, felt like a congealed fat. It was also all over the bottom of my kettle. *sniff* HONEY! damn. A little note to anyone doing honey late additions for the first time: Stir it in very well.

Oh well, should still be a kick arse beer, minus 20% or so (I hope it was that little) of honey.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #94
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Also, it's important to stir to prevent the honey from burning/carmelizing at the bottom of the kettle. Hope it turns out alright. I learned that the hard way too, but it was during my first full-boil with extract. Nothing like a nice burnt toast underflavor to your light summer ale, eh?

I'll also throw an update on mine - haven't racked onto my 3 lbs of raspberries yet, but I did have an interesting experience during primary fermentation. Has anyone ever had a beer blow off twice? I'll explain -

I expected WL300 with a starter to push this sucker's primary fermentation pretty hard, so I put a blowoff tube on my carboy and let it do what I expected it would do. After the first 2-3 days, it blew off and subsided a bit. I put an airlock on it thinking I'm all good for now. Wrong. I check back in a couple days and my airlock is filled with krauzen residue and overflowing at the top and all over my carboy & the bottom of my freezer - what fun!

The only culprit I can think of (since this is a first for me as well), was that I increased the temperature of my freezer oh so slightly...like 2 degrees. Lesson learned: keep the tube on there until primary fermentation is over.

GrassLands Brewery

Old 07-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #95
aboule13
Recipes 

That yeast seems very active to me. Its the only one ive actually ever had overflow.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #96
MooMooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wlp300 goes like gangbusters

Old 07-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #97
Brewer Gerard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooBrew View Post
Wlp300 goes like gangbusters
Pitched yesterday. The airlock was completely stagnant when I went to bed last night. Got up this morning and the krausen is nearly bustin out the top already!

Old 07-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #98
matalec1984
Recipes 

I think I want to give this Orange Honey Hefe a try, do you think it is ok to replace the orange zest with an ounce of either bitter or sweet orange peel. I have a packet of each sitting around and have been meaning to use them.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #99
MooMooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Go for it and report back.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #100
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Racked on top of 3-4 lbs of pasteurized raspberries the other night. Kicked fermentation back into gear and I've got another healthy krauzen. That WL300 was hungry! Mmmmmm, raspberries!

GrassLands Brewery