Weissbier Orange Honey Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP300 Hefeweizen
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
SRM 3
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 72F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 72F
5 lbs. German 2-row Pils
4 lbs. German Wheat Malt Light
mashed at 153F for 45 minutes

.5 oz. Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.

1 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey at flameout

Soaked zest of two organic sweet oranges in 1 cup vodka for 2 weeks. strained and added (the vodka extract LIQUID!) at bottling.

Primed with 1 cup corn sugar. Conditioned at 80F for 10 days.

ohh.jpg

ohh_1.jpg

ohh_3.jpg

:mug:

Your creative brews caught my eye. Orange, watermelon, jalepeno, pineapple...how'd they turn out? So many things there I would never even consider with beer.

Edit: cool label, by the way

Thanks Steiner! When summertimes roll around, I am a total fruit beer guy. I just love the refreshingness of them.

Orange Honey is my best beer to date. I think it's a direct result of switching to all-grain. And it's a pretty good recipe.

The Watermelon is my 2nd time making this. First was extract, 2nd was partial mash, and now I am thinking of dropping the Wit from my schedule on the 6th and doing the watermelon all-grain. Big crowd pleaser, especially amongst the ladies.

Jalapeno.... You wither love it or hate it. There's a lot of kick to it. I would use 1/3 of the peppers if I were to do it again. And I would smoke the heck out of them. I'm not a big fan of how it turned out, but then my buddy took 6 bottles home with him this week. Love it or hate it.

The pineapple lambic is still aging. This board suggested leaving it for another 6 months to a year and I'm cool with that. Less bottling!

Caramel Cream Ale on your sig sounds interesting... A caramel porter, like Saranac's, has been jumping around in my head a lot.

Ya, I may have to try a small batch of something like this, definitely good for the summer. The only flavored beers I've made include strawberries and pumpkin, not mixed together of course. I've got apple cider, blueberry mead, and orange mead still aging though. The cream ale is still conditioning and is hoppier than I expected, but i think it'll be good. I could have used more vanilla and lactose though- I was a little intimidated at first, but it's still green.

How prominent is the orange flavor in your Orange Honey? And I'm really curious about watermelon. That's just so off my radar, I'm interested in trying it. I imagine that had tons of trub.

I'm still using extract and steeping grains, and am not in the position to switch to AG yet, but someday. Keep me posted on the progress.

How prominent is the orange flavor in your Orange Honey? And I'm really curious about watermelon. That's just so off my radar, I'm interested in trying it. I imagine that had tons of trub.

Steiner - Orange flavor is about as prominent as if you took a Weinstephaner Hefe and squeezed an orange slice in it. I think it's just right. I am down to one bottle left, which SUCKS.

The watermelon: http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk238/shiplax27/Watermelon Wheat/ No trub at all since I just squeezed the juice into 2ndary. I am going to officially tap into the bottles this weekend at the beach, but preliminary reports (2 bottles) are awesome! Full report coming...

This is defiantly going on the brewing list

I will absolutely do it again next summer! :ban:

Those pictures are really interesting. I think I'd be getting a bit nervous once the beer color hit pink, but it looks like it turned out nicely and not so pink. Funny looking trub. I think your wacky unconventional brews may have inspired me. After all, this is what homebrewing is all about. I dare you to find another watermelon beer out there. I sense a mini-batch coming soon.

I love your labels and I too love to make fruit beer (I'm the only one in my beer club).

If you don't mind my asking...
1) What type of vodka did you use for the Orange Hefe

2) Your website indicates 6oz of Watermelon but it looks like you have something like 2+ cups? Is it just pureed fresh watermelon? Did you blanch it before you added it to your secondary?

I'm always nervous about adding fresh fruit to the secondary due to the obvious risks of infection. What's your favorite method?

Jim

1) What type of vodka did you use for the Orange Hefe

I have a lot of top shelf stuff at home, so I probably used Goose, Skye, or 3 Olives... I rarely drink liquor, but my bar is stocked from hosting Halloween parties... Since I'm too lazy to get the cheap stuff, I used what I had. I use the cheap stuff in airlocks, but the good stuff if it's going in the beer.

2) Your website indicates 6oz of Watermelon but it looks like you have something like 2+ cups? Is it just pureed fresh watermelon? Did you blanch it before you added it to your secondary?

Now that I look at the pic again, I think that's 6 cups, not ounces (scale on the left...). Hmmm. I'll have to check my pitcher when I get home. I sliced and diced the melon in a bowl, then pressed it with a mashed potato masher. Then I poured the juice through a nylon straining bag, into the pitcher. I don't know what blanching is.

What's your favorite method?

I figure there's enough alcohol to kill things when adding to 2ndary. So I just add there and rack the beer on top. All the tools listed above, as well as the cutting board were sanitized, and the outside of the melon was washed and sanitized.

I'm new to brewing, thought I was doing really good with a couple under my belt, with sweet mead a fermenting. Until I got on your site wow! I really like fruit tasting beer, my favorite. i don't have the means for all grain maybe in the future. Any suggestions for partial grain on any of your brews especially the watermelon, and the orange Hefeweisen? I wish you were closer I would site down with ya and take notes and drink homebrew!:rockin:

I am getting ready to bottle a batch of OHH & forgot to zest some oranges & I was thinking of using a couple shots of Smirnoffs Orange twist vodka this should work right?

Thanks

DubbelDach, I made this recipe exactly to your specs and its kegged as of last Friday. I love this beer! What a perfectly subtle amount of orange flavor that perfectly compliments the great yeast! I love this beer and just wanted to thank you for sharing the recipe. I fear my keg won't last the week the way I'm drinking it!
Great job, great beer! Cheers!

DubbelDach, I made this for SWMBO and bottled it last night. I drank the last partial bottle and it tastes great. Love the subtle orange. I used WLP320 as I wasn't sure how SWMBO would like the banana flavors in a german hefe yeast... and I'm kind of regretting that now. Planning to brew it again soon with WLP300. Thanks again.

Dubbel Dachs - just wanted to give you "big ups" on your label art & recipes. Can't wait to brew a batch of your Orange Honey Hefe.

¡Salud!
axr

My next batch will be a summer wheat, but I dont do AG as it's out of my league. What can I do to make this using partial?

^ Don't be intimidated with AG. All it takes is a little extra equipment than you probably have now. This is the first AG batch I've done and I have to say after 5 weeks (2 primary / 3 in the bottle ) this stuff is the best thing I've brewed to date. Subtle orange/honey flavors with a hefe finish and rave reviews from everyone that's tried it thus far. Thanks again DD.:mug:

I just brewed a slight variation of this on Saturday, added a pound of Crystal 10 and some rice hulls to help with the mash. I also wanted more of an orange flavor and used the zest of 5 oranges stuffed into a cup of vodka- I will post how it turns out. Thanks for the inspiration!

I brewed this beer last week, but I could not find Orange Blossom Honey anywhere except on the internet and I did not want to wait for delivery so i used plain pure honey and uped the Marmalaide to 1/2 cup at 15 minutes. I am going to bottle it tonight the thing is already down to 1.008! I could not believe that yeast (WLP300) took off like it did! Anyway i will post results later. Thanks for the awesome recipe DubbelDach!

Where do you find the organic sweet oranges? Would you consider Valencia oranges sweet oranges for the zest?

I would really love to make this recipe but I seem to not be able to find the organic sweet oranges.

thanks

^ +1. That's where I got mine. I used three Valencia Oranges from Whole Foods.They were as big as grapefruit.

Thank you for the great reviews, everyone! This continues to be among my favorite recipes. My keg lasted just under 2 weeks this year :(

I am getting ready to bottle a batch of OHH & forgot to zest some oranges & I was thinking of using a couple shots of Smirnoffs Orange twist vodka this should work right?

Thanks

Sorry... late to the party. Did this work?

My next batch will be a summer wheat, but I dont do AG as it's out of my league. What can I do to make this using partial?

Blasphemy! Looking back, I wish I never messed with extract brewing. AG adds maybe 45 minutes to my brew day and my batches have improved 1000%. Try to go observe someone else doing it and you'll see... easy. I believe that the first time I made the OHH was a partial mash recipe... Will look for my notes in the next few days.

Where do you find the organic sweet oranges? Would you consider Valencia oranges sweet oranges for the zest?

I would really love to make this recipe but I seem to not be able to find the organic sweet oranges.

thanks

Not sure exactly the type I used... I went to Giant Food Stores and got the only thing there marked "organic oranges". Since they weren't Seville, I assume they're sweet. Get what you can, I wouldn't hold back just because it's not a perfect match. Report how the differences work out! RDWHAHB, holmes!

Wow, turned out good. 4 gallons consumed at a small get together and the other gallon by 2 or 3 in the afternoon by my parents! Home made jockey box worked well, force carbonation was good while the temp was less than 40 degrees, but as it warmed I had to give it a few more doses of the co2. Great stuff. This stuff went from kettle to keg in 7 days and tasted great-I was inspired by Yuri in his fresh beer write up!

A question or so,

1. how many .oz of orange peel/zest would you say to use? I know it was said the zest of 2 sweet oranges but I would like to know the .oz amount.

2. what would you say about using orange flavored vodka (the type that is already flavored)?

3. I was thinking about using sweet orange peel and soaking it in the vodka, would this impart the same flavor to the vodka?

thanks

1. how many .oz of orange peel/zest would you say to use? I know it was said the zest of 2 sweet oranges but I would like to know the .oz amount.

Never measured it... Just used two of them. They were medium to large sized. RDWHAHB.

2. what would you say about using orange flavored vodka (the type that is already flavored)?

I would say that I'd love to know how it turns out! First time I made this, I was tempted to use Triple Sec instead of priming sugar... Mosher mentions doing that in Radical Brewing... When it came time to bottle, it tasted orangey enough with the 2 peels, OB honey, and marmalade, so I just used priming sugar.

3. I was thinking about using sweet orange peel and soaking it in the vodka, would this impart the same flavor to the vodka?

I steeped my peels in vodka for 2 weeks. Works fine... I used enough to cover the peels and let them steep in a tupperware. At bottling time, I picked out the peels, dumped the orange vodka in the bottling bucket with priming sugar, and racked on top.

I would say that I'd love to know how it turns out! First time I made this, I was tempted to use Triple Sec instead of priming sugar... Mosher mentions doing that in Radical Brewing... When it came time to bottle, it tasted orangey enough with the 2 peels, OB honey, and marmalade, so I just used priming sugar.

Hey DD,
I didn't see any mention of marmalade on the first page unless I missed it.How much did you use,was it just something you got at the grocery store,and when was it added.

Just to clarify you just want to use the outer orange layer only of the orange not the white part which is bitter.

Hey DD,
I didn't see any mention of marmalade on the first page unless I missed it.How much did you use,was it just something you got at the grocery store,and when was it added.

Just like a heaping tablespoon of orange marmalade at 15 mins... I think I originally forgot to put in in my first post... I do have it here: OHH @ Dubbel Dachs

Probably doesn't make too much of a difference, it's not a lot.

I brewed this beer last week, but I could not find Orange Blossom Honey anywhere except on the internet and I did not want to wait for delivery so i used plain pure honey and uped the Marmalaide to 1/2 cup at 15 minutes. I am going to bottle it tonight the thing is already down to 1.008! I could not believe that yeast (WLP300) took off like it did! Anyway i will post results later. Thanks for the awesome recipe DubbelDach!

This beer is great! It needs a few more weeks in the bottle and it will be fantastic! I highly recommend this one if you like a good Hefe, I think I will brew this again in the spring so that is has time to age in the keg and it will be perfect on those hot summer days!

All I can say is WOW this is a great beer! I tasted one after only a week in the bottle and like chuckger said this would be great for the hot summer days!

My OG came out to be 1.050 and the FG came in at 1.009 giving me a 5.3% ABV

thanks for such a great recipe, I will add this one to the list to be brewed again!

PS. I used 2oz of sweet orange peels in 1 1/4 cup of Level (top shelf) Vodka.

Does this recipe require mashing?
I've never done an all-grain recipe before.

I'm wondering if I can simply steep the grains at 153 degF for 45 min in a cloth bag and then increase the temp and do the boil, add hops, etc?

If not is there an extract based recipe I could use?

After several dark beers in a row I decided to do a batch of this the other day as it's my most requested beer to date. Made my starter with my stirstarter I recently got and I actually needed to switch the airlock to a blow off for the first time I needed to use it as the krausen was coming out of the airlock the next day. Really looking forward to tasting this batch as I'm hoping it will be even better than the first.

So this turns out well with just a 60 min boil? I would expect DMS flavors with the Pils malt and just 60 minutes. Might give it a shot though.

Hey, you don't mention banana-clove notes in this, which is typical with the hefe yeast. Seems like that would interfere with the orange & honey. Wouldn't this be better with an American wheat yeast? :confused:

All I can say is WOW this is a great beer!

Thank you!

Does this recipe require mashing? I've never done an all-grain recipe before.

Yes it does.

So this turns out well with just a 60 min boil? I would expect DMS flavors with the Pils malt and just 60 minutes. Might give it a shot though.

It tastes great to me... With all the orange and hefe yeast flavors in there, I have never noticed DMS.

Hey, you don't mention banana-clove notes in this, which is typical with the hefe yeast. Seems like that would interfere with the orange & honey. Wouldn't this be better with an American wheat yeast? :confused:

Might be, but I never tried. I chose to work with orange on this because I figured it would go well with any banana esters. As stated above, I love this... But feel free to experiment and report findings back to the thread!

:mug: Cheers, all!

thanks dubD... i did this recipe a couple months ago and it was a huge hit. its now going to be my first duplicate ive brewed since ive switched to all grain (a keg of this has been requested for our 4th of july party)

a few side notes:
i never used the marmalade and it turned out fantastic...

i couldnt find german light wheat and subbed in regular white wheat from AHB and the beer was still great...

this beer ferments like wild! i normally brew a 5.5 gallon batch and this one is the only one thats bubbled over on me (twice). next time i'll use a blow off tube or go smaller in batch size.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back