Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > John Guest fittings

Old 06-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
newkarian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default John Guest fittings

What do you guys think about these as a cheaper alternative to SS bulkheads?

http://www.johnguest.co.uk/part_spec.asp?s=PI12_P1

On Tap/Bottled: Strong Dark Belgian Ale(bretted),Belgian Imperial Stout (2nd AG), Partigyle Dry Stout, Apfelweinx2, Dont Fear the RIIPA, Cream of three crops
Planning: Roggenbier, Biere de Garde, Golden Strong Ale, Barleywine, Something with Brett

Old 06-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

We use a lot of John Guest fittings at work and they are very high quality. They will be food grade, but I don't know about how well they would hold up to high temps.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
newkarian
Recipes 

they have pressure test ratings up to 180 F on their site. Theres a guy on ebay selling mlts fitted with these that got me interested. Anyone know how well these hold @ mashing temps?
On Tap/Bottled: Strong Dark Belgian Ale(bretted),Belgian Imperial Stout (2nd AG), Partigyle Dry Stout, Apfelweinx2, Dont Fear the RIIPA, Cream of three crops
Planning: Roggenbier, Biere de Garde, Golden Strong Ale, Barleywine, Something with Brett

Old 06-17-2008, 01:27 AM   #4
newkarian
Recipes 

This company sells john guest fittings for use in espresso machines. I doubt our MLTs are higher pressure or temp than espresso machines.
http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/...umbingfittings

Old 06-17-2008, 02:20 AM   #5
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have these fittings on my MLT. After 20-25 batches, they have held up well. No leaks and they make clean up a snap as all the connections come apart without a wrench.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
newkarian
Recipes 

I went ahead and ordered 1/2 fittings. What type of pipe or tubing do you use? I was thinking about using PEX. Silicone tubing with inserts would also be an option.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:24 AM   #7
newkarian
Recipes 

Going with this pex-al-pex tubing for pluming up my MLT and HLT. Got it for cheap of ebay and its rated for potable water and up to 200F and 100psi.

http://www.aqua-therm.com/pages/index.php?pID=23