When cleaning bottles in a dishwasher - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When cleaning bottles in a dishwasher
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 06-15-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
dmako
Recipes 

Feb 2008

when you clean EZ cap type bottles in a dishwasher do you remove the rubber grommets to keep them out of the heat cycle or just leave them on?

Old 06-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Aleforge
Recipes 

May 2007
Wentzville, Missouri
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmako View Post
when you clean EZ cap type bottles in a dishwasher do you remove the rubber grommets to keep them out of the heat cycle or just leave them on?
I have never used "ez-cap" bottles, but I would assume if its easy enough to pop the grommets out I would to be safe, and just sanatize them separately.

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 06-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
, New Jersey
Liked 842 Times on 607 Posts

If you are talking about the gaskets on the flip top style bottles, when I use them I take them off and put them in the cage in the silverware compartment so that they get thoroughly cleaned. No problems with the heat in the dishwasher.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
jvh261

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Lyons, Illinois
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If I use them I don't put the caps in the dishwasher. I just rince them in hot water to make sure they're clean and then put them in a little dish of sanitizer before capping.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
ursus
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Portland, OR

The whole top comes off easy, wire-ceramic-gasket, so I take it off before washing the bottles in the dishwasher. It's also easier to clean/sanitize the gasket when it's off the bottle.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 AM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Nebraska
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts

Just remember the dishwasher isn't for cleaning bottles. It will not get the insides very clean.
and Jet-dry in your dishwasher will ruin beer head.

that said, the High heat dry cycle is good for sanitizing bottles AFTER you clean them another way.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 06-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
dmako
Recipes 

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
Just remember the dishwasher isn't for cleaning bottles. It will not get the insides very clean.
and Jet-dry in your dishwasher will ruin beer head.

that said, the High heat dry cycle is good for sanitizing bottles AFTER you clean them another way.
Good point. I try to clean (well rinse well) right after I pour a beer.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
Radarbrew
Recipes 

Oct 2005
Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch again!
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You could just pull off the grommets and clean them, Also, it's a better way to inspect them for aging (cracks, wear rings, etc...). Personally, they're cheep so I just replace them every other session.