Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Ginger beer please!

Old 06-14-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
slim chillingsworth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ginger beer please!

I'm dying for a good Ginger beer recipe. Ideally aimed at 5 gallons force carbonated. Maine Root Ginger Brew is my favorite ever, Reeds is okay. Please help!

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY
---serious -mod edit- business---

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and food josh oakes on beer and food

Old 06-14-2008, 03:13 AM   #2
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

It's not "ginger beer" per se, but I enjoyed the Shakemantle Ginger Ale we brewed up out of Beer Captured.

It's simple: Wheat DME, fuggles to bitter and EKG for flavor, and fresh ginger. Dry hop with more fresh ginger. The ginger bits turn pretty dark, but the fresh stuff gives it both flavor and aroma (which I love!).

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 06-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 143

I just listened to this podcast yesterday. Not sure if this what your talking about when you say ginger beer. I thought it was pretty interesting.
http://cdn2.libsyn.com/basicbrewing/...1575e1ed8a7842
Here's another link
http://www.fermentedtreasures.com/gingerbp.html

Old 06-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't want to buy a ginger beer plant, I can force carbonate so I don't need any yeast. The problem with most ginger beer recipes is that they have way too much sugar since they rely on it being digested for carbonation.

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and food josh oakes on beer and food

Old 06-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have been looking for something similar too. If I understand you correctly, you are looking to make Ginger Beer Soda (as this is a ginger beer thread in the soda forum), like ginger ale with a nice, strong ginger bite, no alcohol. This is what I am looking to make too.

I have considered buy a soda extract, but would rather do it my self since I can get ginger root crazy cheap near by.

Well, I guess this really hasn't helped. When I free up a keg, I am going to just wing it on my own. I am thinking sugar, water, chopped ginger in some kind of herb ball. I am going to taste it as I go and boil to extract the ginger flavor and sanitize everything. Dump it in a keg and force carbonate to 4 volumes. Probably do 1 gallon at a time until I think it is right then make 4 or 5 gallons.

I am also considering using a carbonating cap and just bottle this stuff in some 2L bottles.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 704 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I've been trying to perfect a ginger soda recipe for a while now. The batches always turn out good but never great. The ginger flavor is exactly what I want - fresh and spicy, but there's always something missing. I've only been making about 1 quart at a time. Here's the basic recipe:

1 quart water
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (to taste)
3 oz minced ginger (run it through a garlic press, being sure to collect all of the juice and bits)

Add the sugar and 1 cup of the water to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat off and steep the ginger for 5-10 minutes. Strain. Pour over ice and top up to make 1 quart. Carbonate.

I'm pretty firmly convinced that citrus is the missing ingredient. I made a batch with lemon zest that was marginally better. I think a healthy dose of lemon and lime zest would make a big difference.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Most recipes I've seen call for lemon zest or juice. I made a batch using baker's yeast that came out nice, but not exactly what I wanted. Let's keep this thread going with our experiments.

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY

Old 06-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6212 Times on 4424 Posts
Likes Given: 1659

I use one lemon per gallon, no zest, just squeeze the lemon into the water/sugar mixture.

I steeped the ginger for quite a while, more like a simmer. Then I strained and dissolved the sugar into it and added the lemon juice.

I wrote down the exact amounts, but can't find them now! I remember using quite a bit more ginger than I thought I needed.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-15-2008, 05:04 AM   #9
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

is that force carbonated? how's the flavor?

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY

Old 06-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
BakerStreetBeers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been looking for something like this too. I love reeds and other stronger ginger ales/beers (sodas). I'm in for experimentation and sharing the results!

For carbonation (of test batches) . . . I'm thinking what might work good is a seltzer bottle like this one . . . I already have one of these and they run about $50. Probably not worth it if you'd only use it for testing soda recipes, but if you also happen to enjoy making drinks that call for seltzer water (e.g. mojitos) it might be worth it.

On Tap: Dunkelweizen, Strong Irish Red
On Deck: Agave Wit, DC's RyePA, Belgian Blonde

"Ale man, ale's the stuff to drink / For fellows whom it hurts to think."
- Housman