Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Premier malt extract

Old 01-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #281
papajuan
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Duluth, MN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have an old family recipe from my grand parents from the late 1800's that is very close to this recipe, It used 3 pound of Blue Ribbon malt extract and 3 pounds of table sugar in six gallons of water and bread yeast. It was bottled when the fermentation was almost finished (two bubbles rising per minute in a water glass of wort) Bottle and store in a cool cellar for two weeks. covering the bottles with a horse blanket was suggested. (flak vest?) I have made this beer it did not taste like modern American filtered, carbonated rain barrel water.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:11 AM   #282
ron,ar

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Little Rock, arkansas
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

I have used Premier LME in a pepper beer I make and it always comes out pretty good, but I do add a lb of dme also. One thing about it, the price is right!

Old 01-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #283
smokediverxxx
Recipes 

Feb 2011
corinth, ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron,ar View Post
I have used Premier LME in a pepper beer I make and it always comes out pretty good, but I do add a lb of dme also. One thing about it, the price is right!
Did you add the 3 lbs of sugar too - and was this a 5 gal batch?

Thanx

Old 12-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #284
cwdrake
Recipes 

May 2011
Joliet, Illinois
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Anybody seen this stuff anywhere lately?

Old 12-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #285
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Americas Hinterland, Wisconsin
Liked 73 Times on 66 Posts

Subsbcribe.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #286
moontester
Recipes 

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppedIPA View Post
I bought a case of it last year from a grocery wholesaler in northern Arkansas. used it a few times as a kicker to my other beers and once alone with specialty grains..it had a mild cider flavor ofcourse i dry hopped it too and added extra hops in the boil..lol not bad easy to drink for me
I live in northwest arkansas. Where did you find this malt?

Old 04-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #287
moontester
Recipes 

Dec 2012

What store is it in what town. I live in northwest arkansas.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:40 AM   #288
LeChuck
Recipes 

Jan 2016
Austin, TX
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is this stuff completely off shelves by now? Or is there any hope of finding old cans still? It's really a shame, I'd love to try making a batch with the 'original' (atleast I'm assuming the recipe for the 'light hopped' flavor didn't really change over the years). Anyone stockpile cans and have extras they'd part with? Or is there another available brand that is comparable flavor/hop-wise?

Similar story as others - my grandpa used to brew out in his barn using a woodburning stove and an 8 gallon crock (which I found and now keep as a memento). Covered with a cloth and poured into bottles with a dipper. Don't have a recipe, but I'm sure it's similar to what others have described. I believe he was doing this around the 1940s - 60s. Lots of stories of people not being able to walk straight after drinking it

Random question - what was the size of a yeast cake in that timeframe? Most of the Fleischmann's yeast cakes I see in photos were 0.6 oz. The recipes all seem to just call for 1 cake without mentioning the size.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #289
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChuck View Post
Is this stuff completely off shelves by now? Or is there any hope of finding old cans still? It's really a shame, I'd love to try making a batch with the 'original' (atleast I'm assuming the recipe for the 'light hopped' flavor didn't really change over the years). Anyone stockpile cans and have extras they'd part with? Or is there another available brand that is comparable flavor/hop-wise?

Similar story as others - my grandpa used to brew out in his barn using a woodburning stove and an 8 gallon crock (which I found and now keep as a memento). Covered with a cloth and poured into bottles with a dipper. Don't have a recipe, but I'm sure it's similar to what others have described. I believe he was doing this around the 1940s - 60s. Lots of stories of people not being able to walk straight after drinking it

Random question - what was the size of a yeast cake in that timeframe? Most of the Fleischmann's yeast cakes I see in photos were 0.6 oz. The recipes all seem to just call for 1 cake without mentioning the size.
The company is still in business on Groesbeck Ave. in Warren, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit, I no longer live in the area, but drove by it last week.

Premier Malt Products Website

Under brewing, and "canned malt extract" they list these products
Natural Hopped Flavor - Light (1kg) Code #70261-00002
Natural Hopped Flavor - Dark (1kg) Code #70261-00003
Natural Hopped Flavor - Pale Dry (1kg) Code #70261-00006
Natural Hopped Flavor - Extra Pale (1kg) Code #70261-00001
Natural Hopped Flavor - Plain (1kg) Code #70261-00004

It might be interesting to contact them and see if they sell to homebrewshops still, or see if you can order from them some of their stuff

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-18-2016, 10:15 PM   #290
LeChuck
Recipes 

Jan 2016
Austin, TX
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I sent an email just to make sure, but I thought others had already confirmed it was out of production. Has anyone found another extract that's comparable? Unfortunately some of the others like Muntons hopped light are around $25 a can.

Has anyone tried to actually ferment in an original crock? I'm not sure what exactly these were made of, but I have a feeling it's probably not considered safe nowadays (esp. if it has chips or cracks).

Also still curious about the yeast cake question above, in case anyone has info

Revvy Likes This