insulating the HLT? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > insulating the HLT?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #11
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,826
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts


Maybe something like THIS would work. The 2nd one down...
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
menschmaschine
 
menschmaschine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Delaware
Posts: 3,272
Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts


I use the 3 layers of the foil/bubble wrap taped together with aluminum tape for my keggle. I also put a blanket on the lid. I lose 1-2dF per hour.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,826
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
I use the 3 layers of the foil/bubble wrap taped together with aluminum tape for my keggle. I also put a blanket on the lid. I lose 1-2dF per hour.
You don't have any problems with it melting ?
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #14
menschmaschine
 
menschmaschine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Delaware
Posts: 3,272
Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402 View Post
You don't have any problems with it melting ?
No, but the keg skirt helps. Also, kegs have those 4 little drainage holes in the skirt, through which flames can shoot up through. So, I put aluminum tape over those holes as well. I just make sure to be careful to allow good air flow to the bottom and light right away as I turn on the gas so propane doesn't build up under the skirt and cause an explosion.

Your mash tun probably has no skirt, so in your case, if I were to try the foil bubble wrap, I would run aluminum tape a couple inches up from the bottom around the circumference of the pot, connecting the pot and the bubble wrap with the aluminum tape. Depending on how far your flames shoot up the sides, this may work. Otherwise, you'll have to use some sort of fire-retardent/proof insulation material as others suggested. But keep in mind, too, that on your mash tun, you don't need the flames going full blast like for the boil.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
Choguy03
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 447
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Is that expanding foam fire resistant? And would it keep it insulated well enough. You could always just buy some flashing and set up some kind of mold with it. Then spay that stuff in between the flashing and the HLT. Maybe use some grease or oil to keep the foam from sticking to the flashing. Let it dry and remove. I think that may work, but I am just throwing an idea out there.
__________________
Mad Scientist Brewing Co.

:Fermentation Cabinet:

Primary: Bee Cave Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing
On Deck: Gumball Head Clone (Jekster)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #16
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,826
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
No, but the keg skirt helps. Also, kegs have those 4 little drainage holes in the skirt, through which flames can shoot up through. So, I put aluminum tape over those holes as well. I just make sure to be careful to allow good air flow to the bottom and light right away as I turn on the gas so propane doesn't build up under the skirt and cause an explosion.

Your mash tun probably has no skirt, so in your case, if I were to try the foil bubble wrap, I would run aluminum tape a couple inches up from the bottom around the circumference of the pot, connecting the pot and the bubble wrap with the aluminum tape. Depending on how far your flames shoot up the sides, this may work. Otherwise, you'll have to use some sort of fire-retardent/proof insulation material as others suggested. But keep in mind, too, that on your mash tun, you don't need the flames going full blast like for the boil.
My MLT is fine it's an 80qt cooler. It's the HLT that I need to insulate. I think I will try and find some of that bubble wrap and tape. Then just wrap it up above the b-valve. That should keep it high enough not to be in direct fire. If it melts I'll know soon and can pull it off and try something else.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #17
menschmaschine
 
menschmaschine's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Delaware
Posts: 3,272
Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402 View Post
My MLT is fine it's an 80qt cooler. It's the HLT that I need to insulate.
My bad!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:59 PM   #18
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
small island paradise, the lost atoll
Posts: 3,500
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Choguy03 View Post
Is that expanding foam fire resistant? And would it keep it insulated well enough.
The expanding foam that I used on a friends tank was filled with foam (extra cans off the job site) used on electrical and fire protection pipe penetrations thru the electrical room closets on a 37 story highrise. Yes I believe said foam item is approved by the fire marshal. I have used standard expanding foam in a box and cans used for hot tubs. Again no worries as this is for all electric heating systems. I have a natural gas line in the patio to hook onto besides propane but will not pay those crazy propane prices not alone wanting NG flames under my kegs. I'm talking all electiric heating where you can insulate the kegs fully including top and bottom without flame worries. JMO's.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:09 AM   #19
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,826
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts


I picked up some of the bubble foil stuff and the aluminum tape. I'll give that a shot and see how it does next week.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #20
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
small island paradise, the lost atoll
Posts: 3,500
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Choguy03 View Post
Is that expanding foam fire resistant? And would it keep it insulated well enough.
The expanding foam that I used on a friends tank was filled with foam (extra cans off the job site) used on electrical and fire protection pipe penetrations thru the electrical room closets on a 37 story highrise. Yes I belive said foam item is approved by the fire marshal. I don't recall the "R" rating of this foam. I have used standard expanding foam in a box and cans as used on hot tubs. Again no worries as this is for all electric heating systems. I have natural gas in the patio besides propane but will not pay those crazy propane prices not alone wanting NG flames under my kegs. All electiric heating only, I can insulate the kegs fully without flame worries. JMO's.


 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insulating Keggles Willie3 Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 55 11-27-2012 07:32 PM
Insulating a corny jas0420 Kegerators & Keezers 16 07-17-2009 04:13 AM
Insulating a Keg Gordon65 Equipment/Sanitation 4 01-25-2009 10:03 PM
Insulating sanke for use as mlt schneemann Equipment/Sanitation 13 09-02-2008 02:00 AM
insulating mash tun kcmcf Equipment/Sanitation 1 04-17-2008 06:08 AM


Forum Jump